It’s Thursday, meaning it’s time for some Throwbacking.
We have opted for this 1997-98 season calendar as our Throwback Thursday submission as it was the first year the NHL sent its players to the Olympics. It was also just a generally interesting year in the lifecycle of a hockey league. Some highlights?
- The NHL took a two week break to send players to Nagano
- The Hartford Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes
- Chris Phillips made his Sens debut, as did former Senator Marian Hossa
- The Sens won their first playoff series in franchise history
- It was the last year of the old four division system (Atlantic, Northeast; Central, Pacific) before realignment in 1998-99
- The glowing “FoxTrax” puck was used for the last time
As you can see, an exciting NHL season marked with many relevant tie-ins to 2013-14 (Olympics! Realignment!) as it stands. Now if only we can revive the glowing puck and that awesome cell phone...
Back with more throwback goodness in seven days.
|More from Inside the Senate:|