OTTAWA – Following the team’s announcement on Thursday that Mr. Melnyk is in urgent need of a liver transplant, there has been numerous requests for updates. The organization is able to pass along the following information today:
- Senators staff will continue fielding calls today at 613-599-0100 until 5 p.m. for those persons interested in becoming live liver donors.
- The response has been very good, with over 1,000 calls received and numerous applications sent to the Donor Transplant Team in Toronto.
- The organization continues to ask those who are interested in completing an application to be a live donor for Mr. Melnyk to please fax their completed donor form today given the urgent situation.
- The Senators are also asking that those persons looking for information use www.ottawasenators.com to obtain more information on live liver donation in order to leave our phone lines open for inquiries from those that are trying to complete and submit their donor application.
- The organization is receiving a large number of calls from well-wishers for Mr. Melnyk and his family and while we greatly appreciate the expression of support, we are hoping to leave the phone lines open for those that are trying to complete and submit their donor application.
- The organization would like to remind those persons interested in being considered for the live liver donation that they should submit their application by end of day today. The transplant team will be reviewing and screening applications continually throughout today and will continue screening through the weekend.
- For anyone interested in being tested to determine if they would be a suitable donor, the following form needs to be completed:
- The completed form can then be faxed to Toronto General Hospital’s Living Donor Assessment Office at 416-340-4317. If you experience any problems with the fax, do not hesitate to call the Senators’ offices at 613-599-0100 – the team there will be able to provide support.
- The organization would like to pass along a big thank you from Mr. Melnyk, his family and the extended Senators family for your heartwarming response. Mr. Melnyk gives everyone a big thumbs-up for all your support and encouragement.
- end -