by Todd Anderson
From time to time throughout the 2006-07 season, OttawaSenators.com asks a player to finish a series of sentences to learn more about his life in and away from the hockey rink. Jason Spezza is featured this week.
1. My favourite season of the year is... the spring because it's playoff time and you can dress a little lighter.
2. My favourite holiday is... Christmas, when the family is together.
3. The last book I read was... Moneyball: The Art of winning an Unfair Game.
4. The last CD I bought was... The Tragically Hip's new album World Container.
5. The one athlete whose autograph I most want is... Tiger Woods.
6. My favourite NFL team is... the Atlanta Falcons.
7. The most influential person in my career is... my father.
8. The best European city to visit is... Prague, Czech Republic.
9. The funniest teammate I ever played with is... Grats (Senators teammate Brian McGrattan).
10. My favourite NHL rink is... the Air Canada Centre (in Toronto) because it's my hometown and Madison Square Garden because of the tradition and because the fans are right on top of you.
11. I took my last vacation in... Las Vegas with Razor (Senators teammate Ray Emery).
12. The first job I ever had was... working at hockey schools.
13. The player I idolized most growing up was... (former Pittsburgh Penguin) Mario Lemieux.
14. My first memory of hockey is... in Port Credit, Ont., with the paperweights (an introductory division for young hockey players) playing as a five- or six-year-old in my first games.
15. The NHL's toughest player today is... Grats.
16. The NHL's toughest goalie to score on today is... Dom (former Senators teammate Dominik Hasek).
17. Away from the rink my favourite thing to do is... relax.
18. When getting dressed for a game, I... wait until the last minute. I always start getting dressed pretty late.
19. I wear No. 19 because... I always wore No. 9 or No. 19. I always liked (former Detroit Red Wing) Steve Yzerman growing up. There's something I like about numbers with nine in them.
20. I first knew I had a shot at the NHL when... I was 15 playing junior hockey (in the Ontario Hockey League with the Brampton Battalion).
21. My teammates and friends have a tough time beating me at... video games.
22. As a reward for following a healthy diet, the favourite treat I allow myself to have occasionally is... ice cream, any kind.
23. The thing that motivates me everyday is... I'm playing the game I love and making a living out of it.
24. The toughest thing about being a Toronto-born player playing in Ottawa is... dealing with my buddies. I'm trying to convert them (to Ottawa fans).
25. My favourite Olympic memory from Turin, Italy, is... getting to meet all the guys (on Team Canada) and sit in the room with them.
26. My pre-game meal consists of... salmon, rice, veggies and Caesar salad.