From time to time throughout the 2006-07 season, OttawaSenators.com asks a player to finish a series of sentences to learn more about his life in and away from the hockey rink. Forward Denis Hamel is featured this week.
1. My favourite season of the year is... winter because I can go snowmobiling.
2. My favourite holiday is... Christmas when the family is all together.
3. The last CD I bought was... Hinder.
4. If I wasn't a professional hockey player, I'd be... working with my dad on the farm (in Lachute, Que.).
5. The most influential person in my career is... my father (Gilbert).
6. You'd be surprised to know that I... am really shy.
7. The funniest teammate I ever played with is... Jean-Luc Grand-Pierre with the AHL's Rochester Americans and NHL's Buffalo Sabres. He was always joking around.
8. The most stylish Senators player is... Razor (Ray Emery).
9. My favourite NHL rink is... in Ottawa.
10. My favourite movie is... Slapshot.
11. I took my last vacation... three years ago in Las Vegas with a few friends.
12. The first job I ever had was... working at a golf course.
13. My first hockey memory is... playing with friends.
14. The player I idolized most growing up was... Guy Lafleur.
15. The NHL's toughest player is... George Laraque.
16. The NHL's toughest goalie to score on today is... all of them.
17. Away from the rink my favourite thing to do is... watch movies.
18. My closest friend in the NHL is... my teammate Chris Neil.
19. My favourite hockey memory is... scoring my first NHL goal against Martin Brodeur on my first shift and my first shot. I had to ask if I scored. I couldn't believe it.
20. When dressing for a game... I always start 31 minutes before the warm-up.
21. I wear No. 17 because... in my first year in Binghamton (Senators American Hockey League affiliate), Chris Kelly had (Hamel's preferred) No. 11, so I took his old number. I've had great success with it, so I decided to keep it.
22. I first knew I had a shot at the NHL when... I played my first year in Rochester.
23. As a reward for following a healthy diet, the favourite treat I allow myself to have occasionally is ... Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
24. The thing that motivates me everyday is... I have the chance to do what I love.