The Buffalo Sabres today unveiled the team’s new road jersey and commemorative 40th anniversary third jersey before a crowd of 3000 at HSBC Arena. The event was part of “Puckdrop 2010,” the team’s all-day fan event to celebrate the first official day of training camp.
Beginning this season, Buffalo’s previous third jersey will become the team’s new home uniform. New this season is a white, vintage road jersey that incorporates the accent elements of the updated home jersey to celebrate the organization’s 40th anniversary. The team also debuted a new 40th anniversary uniform. This will now serve as the team’s alternate third jersey, and will be worn 12 times this season at HSBC Arena. This classically-designed uniform is a tribute to not only the history of Buffalo hockey, but early NHL jersey designs of the past. Buffalo will wear this new third jersey for the first time against the New York Rangers in their October 9th home opener. The design for both jerseys was a collaborative effort between the Sabres and Reebok International.
Here are some design facts about the new 40th anniversary jersey:
- The royal blue color of the third jersey reflects the original Sabres jersey that debuted in 1970.
- The “Buffalo” script wordmark was inspired by the old Buffalo Bisons “bottlecap” logo.
- The choice of an off-white color for the Buffalo script was to give the jersey a vintage feel.
- There are four stripes on the sleeves, socks and around the waist that represent 40 years of Sabres hockey.
- A commemorative 40th anniversary “1970” logo sits below the Buffalo script.
- The faux felt numbers have a unique cross stitched pattern in reference to early pro hockey jerseys
The jerseys are now available exclusively in the Sabres Store at HSBC Arena until Wednesday, September 23. The store hours during this exclusive sale are: today until 4 p.m.; Sunday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.; Monday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.