The Pirates swept all three games last week to extend their winning streak to four games their points streak to eight games (6-0-1-1). All three games were closely played contests with Portland coming out on top against Providence (2-0), Springfield (2-1) and Hartford (3-2).
The Pirates improved to 42-22-6-4 on the season and clinched a berth in the 2010 Calder Cup playoffs. They remain in second place, three points behind Worcester for first place in the Atlantic Division.
J.P. Lamoureux turned aside 17 shots for his second shutout of the season as the Pirates blanked the Providence Bruins 2-0 Friday night at the Dunkin' Donuts Center. Paul Byron and Mark Mancari supplied the offense for the Pirates. Portland held the Bruins scoreless in their last three games at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center, a span of 181:38, and have an overall shutout streak against the Bruins of 191:36.
Travis Turnbull and Nathan Gerbe
scored in the final six minutes of regulation to carry the Pirates to a 2-1 win over the Springfield Falcons Saturday at the Cumberland County Civic Center. The win, combined with Norfolk’s loss to Worcester, allowed Portland to clinch a berth in the 2010 Calder Cup Playoffs.
Kyle Wanvig’s breakaway goal in the final minute of the second period turned out to be the game winner as the Pirates knocked off the Hartford Wolf Pack 3-2 Sunday at the CCCC. Derek Whitmore and Mike Weber
also scored for the Pirates, who posted their fourth straight win and extended their points streak to eight games (6-0-1-1). The victory helped Portland improve to 42-22-6-4.
This Week:Friday, April 2, 2010 @ Springfield Falcons (MassMutual Center), 7:30 p.m.
* Springfield is 24-26-11-4 on the season and has been eliminated from playoff contention.
* The Falcons followed a six-game point streak (3-0-2-1) with a current four-game winless streak (0-2-1-1).
* Charles Linglet is tied for fifth in AHL scoring with 74 points in 75 games. His 55 assists are third most in the League.
* The Pirates are 4-2-0-1 against the Falcons this season, including a come-from-behind 2-1 victory at the CCCC on Saturday. Saturday, April 3, 2010 @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers (Arena at Harbor Yard), 7 p.m.
* The Sound Tigers head into this week’s action looking to assure themselves a post season berth. Bridgeport is 36-29-4-6 and tied with Lowell for fourth in the Atlantic Division. The Sound Tigers are in a position to finish as one of the final two seeds in the Atlantic or East Divisions.
* Goaltending has supported Bridgeport all season long. The Tandem of Nathan Lawson and Scott Munroe are both ranked among the top-10 goaltenders in the AHL.
* The Pirates are 3-3-1-0 against the Sound Tigers this season but have gone winless at Harbor Yard Arena (0-2-1-0) Sunday, April 4, 2010 vs. Providence Bruins (CCCC), 4 p.m.
* Providence, 33-35-5-1, heads into this week’s action still mathematically alive for the post season. They are seventh in the Atlantic, nine points out with six games remaining.
* Andy Wozniewski is enjoying a career year. The veteran defenseman is ninth among AHL defensemen with 10 goals and 33 assists for 43 points in 67 games. His goal, assist and point total are all new career highs.
* The Pirates enter the game with a shutout streak of 191:36 against the Bruins and own a 4-2-0-1 record in the season series.
* Mikko Lehtonen leads the Bruins in scoring with 23 goals and 27 assists for 50 points in 72 games. Recent Pirates Transaction:
03/28/2010 Mark Mancari (RW), Recalled from loan by Buffalo
03/28/2010 Nathan Gerbe
(LW), Recalled from loan by Buffalo
03/27/2010 Tyler Ennis
(C), Recalled from loan by Buffalo