The Pirates kept a good thing going last week with a pair of wins to stretch their winning streak to eight games, tied for the second longest in franchise history.
Portland opened action with a 3-1 win over the Syracuse Crunch on Friday followed by a 5-4 victory over the Adirondack Phantoms on Saturday.
The Pirates improved to 29-16-5-2 as a result of the two home wins and finished the week holding third place in the Atlantic Division standings.
Friday night the Pirates received a goal and an assist from Jeff Cowan leading to a 3-1 win over Syracuse. Philip Gogulla and T.J. Brennan also scored for Portland while Jhonas Enroth
made 26 saves. The Crunch struck for their lone goal midway through the second period, ending Enroth’s shutout streak at 167:53.
Portland followed the performance with an exciting 5-4 victory over Adirondack on Saturday. The Pirates built a 4-1 lead by the early stages of the second period but the Phantoms scored three times to finish out the period and send the two teams into the third tied at four. Derek Whitmore netted the deciding goal midway through the third to lift the Pirates to their eighth consecutive win.
The Pirates also won eight straight games last season (10-31-08 to 11-19-08). Tyler Ennis
paced the Pirates attack with a goal and three assists while Mark Mancari supplied a goal and two helpers. Marc-Andre Gragnani and Felix Schutz rounded out the goal scoring.This Week:Monday, February 15, 2010 vs. Hartford (CCCC), 7 p.m.
* Hartford is 25-22-3-4 overall and 10-15-2-2 on the road.
* 2010 AHL All-Star Corey Locke ranks third in AHL scoring with 61 points.
* Rookie goalie Chad Johnson is sixth in the league with 2.22 goals against average.
* Portland owns a 2-0-1-0 advantage in the six-game season series.Friday, February 19, 2010 @ Albany River Rats (Times Union Arena), 7 p.m.
* The River Rats are 27-20-3-3 on the season.
* Albany shows an impressive 17-9-2-1 record on home ice.
* 2010 All-Star Jon Matsumoto leads the team in scoring with 19 goals and 22 assists for 41 points in 50 games.
* Jerome Samson leads the River Rats in goals (21) and points (43) in 52 games. His 240 shots on goal are 50 more than any other player in the League.
* The River Rats won the only other meeting between the two teams by a 5-2 margin played October 9th in Albany.Saturday and Sunday, February 20 & 21, 2010 @ Rochester Americans (Blue Cross Arena), 7 p.m. and 3 p.m.
* Rochester is 31-22-2-0 on this season.
* Forward Jamie Johnson is seventh in AHL scoring with 54 points in 55 games.
* The Pirates doubled the Amerks 6-3 at HSBC Arena in Buffalo in the only previous meeting between the two teams.
* Rochester is 20-21-1-0 following a blistering 11-1-1-0 start to the season.Recent Pirates Transaction: