Buffalo Sabres team physician Dr. William Hartrich made the following statement today regarding Teppo Numminen's condition.
“Teppo was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Tuesday evening and is now resting comfortable at home," said Hartich concerning Numminen's heart surgery last Thursday. "His post-operative recovery continues to be excellent and Teppo's right on schedule for a full recovery. His spirits are great and he's getting stronger everyday."
Numminen learned he required surgery after a routine checkup in Cleveland earlier this month. Barring complications in his recovery, the 39-year-old said prior to the surgery that he's determined to resume playing and could return to the lineup as soon as December.
The 18-year NHL veteran added that doctors said he would be able to continue living a normal life.
The Finnish player has had a heart murmur since childhood and was diagnosed with a dilated aorta in March 2004, when he was playing for the Dallas Stars. Numminen missed five games because of the condition before he was cleared to play.
The condition also forced him to miss one game and part of another during a playoff series against Philadelphia in spring 2006.
Numminen said he's had two "procedures" to alleviate the problem, but noted this time it's different. He said doctors would work on his heart by opening his rib cage.