Quick bits and pieces from the Red Wings optional morning skate at Bridgestone Arena.
- Mike Babcock said that there would be no lineup changes tonight.
- Even though he participated in Nashville’s morning skate, Hal Gill will not play tonight for the Predators. The defenseman has missed all five games of this series with a lower body injury.
- Darren Helm
was present during Detroit’s on-ice festivities, choosing to watch practice from the bench.
- With Nashville up 3-1 in the series, both teams talked about the importance of an elimination game.Drew Miller
: “We have confidence knowing that we’ve done it before. I think we’ve just got to take it one game at a time and tonight’s the game you have to win. If you win tonight, you get another chance. If you don’t, you’re done.”Justin Abdelkader
: “We have a veteran group of guys in here, so we’re just going to take it one shift at a time, build off the last few games and try and correct our mistakes.”Danny Cleary
: “We’ve just got to play a hard, simple game tonight. We’ve just gotta grind.”
Nashville coach Barry Trotz: “You know they are going to come out and play their best game and we’re going to have to play our best game. We’re hoping to be on the positive side of that. We have a lot of respect for the Red Wings and what they did last year against the Sharks.”
- Following practice, as Jimmy Howard
was taking off his pads, Tomas Holmstrom
, who has one of the stalls to his left chimed in with a “you were real good today Howie. Real good.”
“Thanks,” Howard replied, thinking that Holmstrom was serious.
After a brief pause, Holmstrom, who could double as the team comedian offered back the following retort with an ear-to-ear grin.
“Just don’t peak too early, okay?”
Everybody couldn’t help but laugh.
- Mike Babcock was also asked about Nick Lidstrom’s future and offered up one of the best quotes of the playoffs thus far.
“I think Nick Lidstrom retires when he thinks he’s not a good player anymore, but I think he’s been a pretty darn good player. I don’t know what could possibly be more fun than playing hockey at a high level on a great team. And I know his wife … so she doesn’t want him at home for sure (laughter).”