Size: 6’5” / 205 lbs.
Birthday: 9/16/1994 2013-14 Season:
• CHL Player of the Year
• QMJHL MVP, Scoring Champion
• Recorded 57 goals, 63 assists, and 120 points in just 57 regular season games.
• Recorded 24 goals, 14 assists, and 38 points in only 24 playoff games.
• Led Val d'Or to the QMJHL championship, scoring the clinching goal with 52 seconds left in Game 7 of the finals.Strengths:
• Rocket shot, scoring touch
• Great size
• Skates well for a big body
"He’s going to get a chance to make our team (in 2014-15). He’ll play five or six or seven exhibition games, and if he belongs in the NHL, we’ll put him in. If not, we can put him in Grand Rapids, do the thing we’ve done through the years." - Ken Holland2014-15 Projection:
Mantha will challenge for a spot on the Red Wings roster, but will otherwise begin the year with the Griffins.
|Zach Nastasiuk |
(RW, Round 2, 48th Overall)
Size: 6’2” / 200 lbs.
• Jack of all trades
• Great leadership
• Poised and mature for his age 2013-14 Season:
• Scored 23 goals and added 28 assists in 62 games as captain for OHL's Owen Sound Attack.
• Was part of the Grand Rapids Griffins playoff run, playing 7 games and recording 1 assist against the Texas Stars.
• Has been invited to attend Hockey Canada's national junior team summer evaluation camp.
“At the end of the playoffs, Jeff Blashill said, ‘I wish we could get this guy next year,’ ” Assistant GM, Ryan Martin said. “That’s how good he was. Not only could he make our team in Grand Rapids, he could help us win games in Grand Rapids.”
Nastasiuk will return to the OHL's Owen Sound and work toward earning a spot with Team Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Junior Championship.
|Tyler Bertuzzi |
(LW, Round 2, 58th Overall)
Size: 6'1"/180 lbs.
• Sparkplug, plays hard every shift
• Aggressive, loves physicality
• Good hands, smart2013-14 Season:
• Started strong for the OHL's Guelph Storm, scoring 35 points (10 goals, 25 assists) in 29 regular season games, but suffered an upper-body injury which forced him to miss the rest of regular season.
• Returned early in the playoffs and had a big postseason, notching 10 goals and 7 assists in just 18 games en route to Guelph's OHL championship season.
• Led Memorial Cup in goal-scoring with 5 goals in just 4 games.
"We love his hands and hockey sense, his compete, he plays with an edge. He’s got to get stronger and work on a couple of things, but certainly, we’re happy where we got him in a draft." - Ken Holland2014-15 Projection:
Bertuzzi is expected to return to Guelph Storm and will take on a bigger role with the team.
|Mattias Janmark |
(C, Round 3, 79th Overall)
Size: 6’1” / 190 lbs.
• Can create offense for himself
• Good scorer, but also can set up teammates
• Very good awareness on the ice2013-14 Season:
• Started season on fire with AIK of the Swedish Hockey League, scoring 12 goals in first 18 games.
• Battled through a throat infection in December and never regained early-season form.
• Joined Grand Rapids for their playoff run and chipped in one assist in 6 playoff games.
"He’s confident with the puck, his speed his fine, his hands are very good, and he’s tenacious — he chases the puck all the time." - Director of European Scouting, Hakan Andersson2014-15 Projection:
Mattias Janmark will return to the SHL for the year, playing with Frolunda after being wooed by many teams.
|David Pope |
(LW, Round 4, 109th Overall)
Size: 6'2"/190 lbs.
• Hard, accurate shot
• Skating ability
• Offensive instincts2013-14 Season:
• Led BCHL's Kelowna Warriors in goals with 27 over 45 games
• Chipped in 23 assists over the course of the regular season, giving him a total of 50 points on the year
• Named BCHL Second-Team All-Star 2014-15 Projection:
He'll play NCAA hockey for Nebraska-Omaha next season.
|Mitch Wheaton |
(D, Round 5, 139th Overall)
Size: 6'5"/215 lbs.
• Great size
• Intelligent player
• Sees the game very well2013-14 Season:
Spent season on WHL’s first-place team in Kelowna.
Recorded 28 points (7 goals, 21 assists) over the course of 57 regular season games.
Held a +31 rating last season. 2014-15 Projection:
He'll rejoin the Kelowna Rockets for one more season in the WHL.
|Marc McNulty |
(D, Round 6, 169th Overall)
Size: 6'6"/195 lbs.
• Very long reach, which he uses to his advantage
• Takes away a lot of space with size and wingspan
• Smooth skater2013-14:
• Led Prince George Cougars of the WHL in scoring among D-Men (17 goals, 25 assists, 42 points)
• Scored 10 PPG
• Tied for fifth in goals among WHL defensemen 2014-15 Projection:
Coming off a big year in the WHL, the McNulty will return to the Prince George Cougars for one more season.
(C, Round 7, 199th Overall)
Size: 6'2"/170 lbs.
• Playmaking ability
• Hockey sense
• Good hands2013-14:
• Recorded 4 assists in his first 2 games with Tingsryds of the Swedish J-20 SuperElit league before suffering some health issues.
• Was diagnosed with an acute respiratory disease and was shut down after 11 games. 2014-15 Projection:
Melen will look to get healthy and have a comeback season when he plays for Vaxjo of the J-20 SuperElit league in Sweden.