RANGERS PROSPECT NOTES - October 12, 2004
/ New York Rangers
Be sure to check back regularly each week for updated Rangers prospect notes and quotes from the Blueshirt coaching and scouting staff.2004-05 Rangers Prospect Scoring >>
* Jarkko Immonen (right) ... Leads JYP of the Finnish League with eight assists and 10 points in 10 games this season ... Led JYP in scoring during the 2003-04 season with 23 goals and 49 points in 52 games.
Rangers European Scout Christer Rockstrom on Immonen's start to the 2004-05 campaign:
"Jarkko has had a good point producing start of the season and is leading his club in points. He is the best player on his team and plays a second line center role where he gets ice time both on the power play as well as the penalty kill. He does all of the little things well such as taking face-offs, playing hard at both ends of the ice, intercepting passes and changing the game from defense to offense with his accurate passes. He seldom makes a bad play with the puck and plays the team system well without the puck. His hockey sense is his best asset and is a very loyal hockey player who any coach would love to have on his team."
* Lauri Korpikoski ... Has recorded two assists and four penalty minutes in nine games with TPS Turku of the Finnish League ... Is in his first season with the Finnish Senior League after scoring 12 goals and eight assists for 20 points, along with 26 penalty minutes in 36 games with TPS of the Finnish Junior League in 2003-04.
Rangers European Scout Christer Rockstrom on Korpikoski's adjustment to the Finnish Senior League in 2004-05:
"Lauri has adjusted to senior hockey very well. He takes a regular shift and gets a majority of his ice time in 5-on-5 situations right now, with not much time with special teams play. He shows a strong defensive responsibility and plays the team system very well. He skates hard and works as intensely as anyone on the ice. Lauri can beat opponents with his speed and his quick stick moves. He is still on the lean side, but plays a strong game.
CANADIAN HOCKEY LEAGUE:
* Zdenek Bahensky ... Is tied for third on the Saskatoon Blades with three goals and is tied for sixth on the team with four points in six games ... Leads the club with two shorthanded goals ... Is playing in his first Western Hockey League season after spending the 2003-04 campaign with Litvinov of the Czech Republic Junior League.
Rangers Amateur Scout Ernie Gare on Bahensky's play in Saskatoon's 3-1 win over Regina on Saturday, October 9:
"Zdenek got better as the game progressed. He is very good at getting the puck to the slot in the offensive zone. He also has a quick release and shoots the puck very hard. He worked hard and was quick to loose pucks."
* Bruce Graham ... Tallied two goals, including the game-winner and two penalty minutes in Moncton's 5-4 victory over Chicoutimi on Sunday in QMJHL action ... Ranks second on Moncton with five goals and is tied for fourth with seven points in 10 games this season.
Rangers Amateur Scout Rich Brown on Graham's play in the 5-4 win over Chicoutimi on Sunday, October 10:
"It was en excellent performance from Bruce. He competed hard and was terrific offensively, scoring a pair of highlight-reel goals. On his first goal, he split the opposing defense with a clever move, walked in alone and put the puck high over the goaltender's shoulder. On the game-winner, he showed a goal scorer's patience in close to the goal before roofing it. He was dominant in the face-off circle again and I was also very pleased with his defensive effort. He worked equally hard on both sides of the puck."
Rangers Amateur Scout Ray Clearwater on Graham's play in Moncton's 2-0 win over Quebec on Thursday, October 7:
"Bruce was very good again today. He worked hard, controlled the face-off circle, made many plays and drove to the net to create chances for himself. He killed penalties well and also worked the power play. He was very consistent out there."
* Roman Psurny ... Tallied a goal, his second goal of the season, in Medicine Hat's 2-0 win over Prince George on Sunday ... Is tied for second on the team with five assists and fourth on the club with seven points in seven games ... Ranks fourth on the team with 12 penalty minutes ... Is playing in his first Western Hockey League season after spending the 2003-04 campaign with Zlin of the Czech Republic Junior League.
NATIONAL COLLEGIATE ATHELTIC ASSOCIATION:
* Chris Holt ... Backstopped the University of Nebraska-Omaha to a pair of wins this past weekend, including a 4-1 win over the University of Connecticut and a 4-3 victory over Merrimack ... Turned aside 16 of 17 shots in the win over Connecticut and 18 of 21 shots in the Merrimack win ... Is 2-0-0 with a 2.00 goals against average to start the season.
* Greg Moore ... Tallied a power play goal for Maine's lone score in a 3-1 loss to the University of North Dakota ... Is tied for the team lead with two goals in three games ... Is in his Junior season at Maine.