The Rangers threw everything they had at the Eastern Conference-leading Ottawa Senators on Sunday night at Madison Square Garden, but a brilliant, 34-save effort from goaltender Martin Gerber enabled the Sens to escape with a 3-1 victory.
Recap THREE STARS OF THE GAME
1. M. GERBER -- OTT
2. J. SPEZZA -- OTT
3. S. GOMEZ -- NYRNOTES
* Scott Gomez notched a goal at 3:42 of the first period to extend his scoring streak to nine games, registering 12 points (four goals and eight assists) over the span.
* Jaromir Jagr collected an assist and logged 20:43 of icetime. He extended his assist streak to four games, registering five assists during the stretch. With the assist, Jagr passed Stan Mikita for 15th on the NHL’s all-time assists list.
* Martin Straka tallied one assist and logged a team-high among forwards, 22:16 of icetime. He extended his scoring streak to four games, registering six points (two goals and four assists) over the span.
* Henrik Lundqvist
made 22 saves in net for the Rangers to drop his record to 16-13-3 overall, and 14-8-2 in his last 24 games.
* Chris Drury won 13 of 17 faceoffs (76%) and blocked two shots in 20:03 of icetime. He has registered a faceoff winning percentage of 50% or better in each of the last five games, winning 57 of 89 faceoffs (64%) during the stretch.
* Sean Avery
delivered four hits and logged 18:52 of icetime in his return to the Rangers lineup after missing the previous 11 games following arthroscopic surgery on his left wrist on November 29. New York has now posted a record of 26-11-7 in 43 games with him in the lineup and are 8-10-3 in the 21 games he has not dressed since becoming a Ranger on February 5.
* The Rangers have sold out 94 consecutive regular-season games.