Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Pittsburgh Penguins

Crusaders Win Final Game in Overtime

by Staff Writer / Pittsburgh Penguins
By Mark Boyle & Megan Cloutier

Bishop Canevin proved once again that they are a force to be reckoned with on Monday night as the Crusaders won the 2011 St. Margaret Tournament, in overtime against the Canon McMillan Big Macs, 4-3.

The first period didn’t see much action scoring-wise and only minor penalties for both teams. Peter Karney of Bishop Canevin saw some time in the penalty box for interference. Canon McMillan’s Garrett Woznichak was also forced to sit out for elbowing.

Then the second period began.

Within two minutes of each other, Bishop Canevin scored two goals, the first from Chadd Lounder assisted by Randy Unger and Blaine Adams. Not satisfied with simply having an assist, Adams attacked the net and scored the second goal for the Crusaders with assists from Garrett Godlewski and Karney.

But Canon McMillan had no plans of going into the third period down by two. At 5:17, Karney was ordered back to the penalty box, this time for holding. Caleb Diesel knew this was his time to step up for his team, and he did, scoring a power-play goal with an assist from Anthony Tonkovich.

With their name now on the board, Canon McMillan could tie the game with one goal, but at 13:01, the Big Macs were penalized again -- Luc Tilly received a minor for hooking.

Like Adams, Karney was able to add a goal. With less than one minute left in the second, Karney recorded a power-play goal, giving Bishop Canevin a two-point lead again. He was assisted by Unger and Matthew Walsh.

By the start of the third period the score Bishop Canevin had a 3-1 lead. There was still plenty of time left in the game to tie up the score, and that’s what Canon McMillan did.

Almost three and a half minutes into the period, Tonkovich found his way to the net and managed to get around Bishop Canevin’s goalie Nikita Meskin to prove to his team that the Big Macs were still in the game. Artum Prus and James Oddi helped with the assist.

The game progressed, and neither team showed any signs of stopping. With less than half of the period left, Lounder of the Crusaders got a penalty for hooking. Canon McMillan knew they had to make these two minutes count.

Tonkovich, who already had a goal and an assist, took the puck to the net once again, tying the game at 3-3.

The clock ran out, and the teams shot off into overtime.

Overtime did not last long, at the :59 second mark Bishop Canevin’s Randy Unger buried the game winning goal, bringing the final score to 4-3.

Box Score
View More