"We showed a lot of resiliency, battled back and dominated the second half of the game. We're trying to build off that the last three games."
- Panthers forward Brandon Pirri.
1. Benn There Done That:Dallas Stars captain Jamie Benn is making a habit of getting off to fast starts. Benn got the scoring started early in the first period, sliding one past Roberto Luongo 45 seconds into the game for his 33rd of the season. The early goal came one night after Benn scored 40 seconds into Dallas’ 5-2 win in Tampa Bay. The center was instrumental in their other goal as well, screening Luongo as Tyler Seguin scored to make it 2-0 39 seconds into the second.
2. Gudd Things Happen: Erik Gudbranson proved true the old saying that good things happen when you shoot the puck. The defenseman set up the Cats’ first goal when he sent a deceptive wrister towards the net in the second period. Guddy would initially get credited for the goal but it would eventually be awarded to Scottie Upshall. The blueliner also made a highlight reel level end-to-end back-check midway through the second to help negate what would have been a five-star quality Dallas scoring chance.
3. Clutch Time Bergenheim:With the third period nearing its completion Sean Bergenheim came up huge for the Cats getting his stick on a well-placed Colby Robak shot to give the Panthers a 3-2 lead. Robak unleashed a rocket from the left face-off circle that found the tape of Bergenheim who was battling for position in front of the net. The goal was Bergeneim’s 16th and the assist was Robak’s first point of the season.
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@SoFloMC: What an exciting end! Never count out the Comeback Cats! #WonWeDid @FlaPanthers vs #Stars @NHL
@aweins325: The @FlaPanthers retweeted me and it definitely made my day
@KMizTHW: Use the Force, Lou! #FlaPanthers #starwarsnight
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Julio Reed: Urk, we really needed that extra point. Oh well, a great comeback from the Panthers!! Nice job taking that one from us, great game to watch. See you next season!
Robert W Moore: A great game to come back from 2 down. It's all hard work.
Christopher Carlsson: Great comeback! I'm glad I stayed up and listened to the game
1.Bobby Butler recorded his first point as a Florida Panther when he set the table for Brandon Pirri’s second period tally. Colby Robak also recorded his first point of the season with his third period assist on Sean Bergenheim’s game-winner.
2. With his goal 45 seconds into the game, Jamie Benn has scored in the opening minute of back-to-back games.
4. With a goal and an assist in the second period, Pirri extended his scoring streak to four-straight games (3-2-5) and now has 12 points (6-6-12) in the last 15 games.
35. After allowing early period goals (first and second), Roberto Luongo shut the door on the Stars the rest of the way. The Panthers netminder stopped 35 of the 37 Dallas shots to lock up the win for the Cats.
The Panthers' center was instrumental in the comeback attempt, assisting on their first goal before equalizing the game at two.
Game three of the Panthers' season-ending five-game homestand is Tuesday night as the Cats host the Philadelphia Flyers. Tuesday's outcome will determine the season series winner as the teams have won in their home buildings. Florida won 3-1 in their most recent meeting on Nov. 25. The Flyers, who sit in third in the Metropolitan with 89 points, are led by center Claude Giroux. The captain has 79 points (25-54-79) in 78 games. Steve Mason has a 32-18-7 record with a .916 save percentage and 2.52 GAA.