FLA - M. Goc (2), T. Fleischmann (3), PPG - J. Garrison (4)
| ||1 ||2 ||3 ||OT ||T |
|Panthers ||0 ||1 ||2 ||0 ||3 |
|SABRES ||0 ||1 ||1 ||0 ||2 |
BUF - T. Vanek (8), PPG - J. Pominville (5)
| || |
| || || |
| BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) - The Florida Panthers found a way to hold a late lead and hang on for the win. |
Jason Garrison's power-play goal with 1:43 left in regulation snapped a third-period tie and lifted the Panthers to a 3-2 win over the Buffalo Sabres on Saturday night.
| || "Pretty good at it. He can bring the rain. That's what we call it. He really hammers that thing...When they come near him, that thing up and off there pretty hard and I don't think anybody in hockey would have much chance on that. I think it was in and out before they had a chance to react. That was quite the bomb." |
- Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen on Jason Garrison's blast of a game-winner.
| 1. Slow Start, Great Finish: It seemed like the Panthers and Sabres were feeling each other out in the first 20 minutes as the two teams combined for 13 shots on net. With the game scoreless, Florida jumped on the board 6:48 into the second off of a Marcel Goc shot from the goalline and the floodgates seemed to loosen. Tomas Vanek tied it with just 1:46 left in the second and that set the scene for an exciting final twenty minutes. Helped by penalites, Jason Pominville scored a power play goal for a 2-1 Buffalo lead and Tomas Fleischmann tied it while it was four-on-four action. That led to Jason Garrison's power play game-winner with 1:43 left to play. |
2. Talk About Da' Bomb: If you blinked your eyes at the wrong moment, you very well might have missed Garrison's game-winner. The defenseman doesn't use his shot too often (which needs to change, that's for sure) but when he does, it's like lightning. Garrison netted his fourth goal on the young season and is already just one away from tying his career high which he set last season. He's already got two game-winners in the first 10 games.
3. Missed Opportunities: While the game was played even for most of it, if either team hit on their opportunities it would have been a totally different story. Ryan Miller stopped Jack Skille and Marco Sturm on two seperate breakaways while Jose Theodore (24 saves) got some help from his defensemen in clearing the puck as it was sitting in the crease on a couple of occasions and stopped Nathan Gerbe who found himself all alone late in the third. Buffalo also had a goal taken away midway through the opening period as it was deemed Matt Ellis, stationed in front of the net, kicked the puck into the back of the net.
| || || |
Memorable twitter posts from the game.
@mtodd90: After getting robbed in Ottawa we steal one ourselves in Buffalo to finish off the road-trip (2-1). Good work boys! #FlaPanthers
@Sheena6044: YES!!!!!! Panthers win!!! So Happy :))))) #FlaPanthers
@jmm212: 6-4 in first 10! Strong start, let's keep moving forward! #FlaPanthers
@BK_DobberNation: #FlaPanthers with 2 late goals to beat the #Sabres in Buffalo. 10 games in, they sit 2 games over .500 .. anyone call that?
| || |
Memorable fan posts from the game.
Tyler Current: Great game! I was in doubt of their comeback but they really pulled it together for a great team effort win!
Andreas Bergh: I'm so proud. The guys never even think the game was over. What a comeback! Let's beat the Jets now. WE SEE RED!
Vincent Rossi: THANK GOODNESS WE WON. That game in Ottawa has been TORTURING me for the past 48 hours. Those demons can finally be put to bed!
Adam Hernandez: I never doubt the cats I see red I breathe red I BLEED RED (literally and for the team ofcourse) The Panthers will maul all who face them these aren't the same house cats from seasons before. Bret Carpenter: Yatzee!! I was there 2nite & got 2 see the whole thing! As soon as Gerbe got that 4 min penalty i knew we had a chance 2 at least tie it. Then good ol' Garrison let that bomb go & BINGO! Awesome comeback boys! Now lets go home & kick some Jet a**!
2. The Panthers were called for Too Many Men on the ice on two seperate occasions; 13:05 into the first and 15:28 into the second. Florida has been good at making sure they haven't had too many men on the ice this season as those were the first two instances that they have been called.
3. Forward Tomas Kopecky had a heck of a game, assisting on all three of the Panthers goals. He picked up the second helper on Marcel Goc and Jason Garrison's goals, and set up Tomas Fleischmann from behind the net for the equalizer. The three assists ties a career high for the forward in a game (11/30/10 vs Saint Louis). His second assist on the night was also the 100th of his career.
5. The Panthers and Sabres each had their chances on the man advantage as they both were given five power plays each. Jason Pominville scored on one of the Sabres chances while Jason Garrison scored on a Panthers chance.
13. The Panthers threw 13 shots on Ryan Miller in the second period, connecting on Marcel Goc's second of the season 6:48 in. The 13 shots equaled the first period total, combined (Buffalo - 8, Florida 5).
21. Center Stephen Weiss was busy in the face-off circle as he took 21 of the Panthers 57 draws (36.8%). The next closest Panthers were Marcel Goc (16) and Mike Santorelli (9). Weiss finished the game winning 52% of his draws (11 of 21).
| || || |
| Tomas Kopecky (3 assists) is also a good choice but we'll go with defenseman Jason Garrison. The blueliner scored on a bomb with just 1:43 remaining to give the Panthers the win and played a game-high 26:33 of ice time. |
1 Goal, 1 Assist, GWG, 1 Shot, 26:33 TOI
| || |
| Florida returns home to start a three-game homestand. The first game sees them close out the month of October with a Halloween matchup against the Winnipeg Jets. The Southeast foes, at least for this season, meet for the first time in six games this season. Winnipeg will play game three of a seven-game road trip in Sunrise. They were shut out 1-0 in Tampa on Saturday night. |