Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the
interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
Stars 4, Panthers 1
– It’s been awhile since the Panthers have faced off against the Dallas Stars. 692 days to be exact. The two franchises last met on March 1, 2007 at BankAtlantic Center as the Panthers earned a 2-1 overtime victory. With the way the NHL schedule was set up in years past, the two squads did not face one another during the 2007-08 season. They won't have to wait as long to face off once again as Florida heads to Dallas to take on the Stars on March 28th, only 66 days from now.3
– It was the third for number three as Karlis Skrastins scored his third goal of the season as he rebounded Kamil Kreps shot past Marty Turco off a 2-on-1 rush. It was Skrastins first goal (36 games ago) since a tally against Nashville on November 1st. Ironically, all three of Skrastins goals have come against Western opponents (Minnesota on October 16th)4
– Fights break out all the time in the game of hockey, but when play stopped with 2.7 seconds remaining on the clock in the second period, no one would have guessed it would be Panthers forward Cory Stillman squaring off against Stars defenseman Matt Niskanen. The fight was Stillman’s fourth of his career (third of the regular season). The last fight Stillman was involved in came against Andrew Ference in the 2003-04 Stanley Cup Finals.11
– Stars forward Mike Ribeiro scored 75% of the Stars goals in picking up the first hat trick of his NHL career. Ribeiro had a goal in the second and then one early in the third and finished off the natural hat trick with an empty net goal. Ribeiro was the only player to score more than one point in the game. He now has 11 goals on the season.1
– Usually the Panthers are good at drawing penalties with their aggressive skating and forecheck. But Wednesday night Florida was only able to draw one power play opportunity, and that came in the third period. James Neal was whistled for tripping 8:25 into the final frame. The game was actually pretty clean on both sides as the Panthers were called for two minors. The two teams also had two fighting majors apiece. 8:46
– Forward Anthony Stewart had the third least amount of time on the ice (8:46), but one would argue that he did the most while he was out on the ice. The fourth line winger, registered the second assist on Skrastins goal (his fourth point of the season), was a plus-1, had a shot on net, picked up four hits tying him for the team lead and also was involved in a scrap with Brian Sutherby in the first period.8
– The loss snapped the Panthers eight game point streak, and was Florida’s first loss in regulation in 2009. They had went 5-0-3 prior to the 4-1 defeat to the Dallas Stars. The loss ended the longest point streak of the season.