Panthers By The Numbers takes a closer look at some of the
interesting stats that you may or may have not known about.
Panthers 4, Devils 09
– Beating Devils netminder Scott Clemmensen
with a rebound snap shot from the slot 4:18 into the first period, Stephen Weiss
recorded his 10th goal of the season. Now the stat here is that he became the ninth Panther to score at least 10 goals this season. With Weiss’ goal, Florida became the third team to have nine skaters have at least 10 goals, and is now tied with Detroit and Boston in that category.2
– It took over four minutes for the Panthers to register a shot on Clemmensen, but the first two were huge. Bryan McCabe’s shot 4:16 in hit Clemmensen and rebounded out to Weiss who put it past the goalie for the goal. It was McCabe’s 15th assist of the season and just his 11th point in 44 career games against the Devils.15
– Richard Zednik has been on fire since the beginning of the new year. Since being benched against the Islanders on December 31st, Zednik has recorded 15 points including eight goals in his last 20 games. He gave the Panthers a 2-0 lead, scoring on the rebound on a Cats power play 11:27 in and then picked up the first assist on Nathan Horton’s goal later in the second Tuesday night. He only had 10 points in his first 26 games of the season. 4
– Skating to the left amidst a throng of defenders, Horton collected the rebound and fired the shot into the top left corner of the net for his 17th of the season with 5:55 left in the second period. Horton has been picking up steam lately, scoring goals in four of the last five games.59
– Zednik and Horton scored twice within a 2:38 of the second period, giving the Cats a 3-0 lead heading into the third. The two goals upped their second period total to 59 which is the most of any of the three periods (9 more than the first and 12 more than the third).6
– Taking a cross-ice pass and depositing it into the open net to give the Panthers a 4-0 lead, Cory Stillman stretched his point streak to six games with his 12th of the season. Interestingly enough, it was just his first goal of the streak as all of his points had come off helpers (1 goal, 6 assists in 6 games now). His last goal came eight games ago against Toronto on February 3rd.18
– The Panthers have scored 18 goals in the last five games and the goals have all come from the forwards. After the defense had scored four of the five goals prior to, the forwards have taken over. Zednik leads the charge with five goals while Horton has four and Michael Frolik has three.4 (part II)
– Four Panthers hit the scoresheet twice Tuesday night as Zednik (goal, assist), Weiss (goal, assist), Frolik (2 assists) and David Booth (2 assists) all had multi-point games. It was Weiss’ 10th of the season, Zednik’s sixth, Frolik’s sixth and Booth’s ninth game of the season with more than one point in a game. 5
– Netminder Tomas Vokoun was brilliant Tuesday, shutting out the Devils for his fifth shutout of the season. He has already surpassed last year’s total (4) as he stopped 36 shots. It was also his second shut out in the last four games (February 12th vs Carolina)6 (part II)
– Defenseman Karlis Skrastins and forward Radek Dvorak led the Panthers in two separate categories with the number six. Skrastins had six blocked shots on the night while Dvorak led the Panthers in shots on goal.