Storylines to Watch
- Florida will face two teams that they have squared off with last week.
- G Roberto Luongo is three wins shy from tying Mike Vernon (1982-2002) for 12th among all-time NHL goaltenders with 385 wins.
Dec. 8 at St. Louis Blues (17-8-2)
All-Time Record against St. Louis: 7-16-3-1
All-Time Record vs. St. Louis on the road: 3-10-1-0
The Blues swept the season series against Florida in 2013-14, shutting out the Cats in both contests. The Blues have been one of the biggest stories in the NHL recently after the signing of G Martin Brodeur. After spending his entire 20-plus year career with the New Jersey Devils, Brodeur signed with St. Louis after a try-out. The 42-year old netminder enters the match-up against Florida after earning the first win of his career for a team not named the Devils. The Panthers head into St. Louis looking to spoil the fanfare and end a four-game losing streak to St. Louis.
KNOW YOUR OPPOSITION -- ST. LOUIS
- F Paul Stastny has recorded 13 points (6-7−13) in nine career games against FLA.
- F David Backes has recorded eight points (5-3−8) in eight career games against FLA.
- F Vladimir Tarasenko has recorded two points (1-1−2) in two career games against FLA.
- G Martin Brodeur owns a 40-16-2 record with six shutouts in 65 career games against FLA.
CATS VS. BLUES
- F Tomas Kopecky has recorded 15 points (6-9−15) in 30 career games against STL.
-F Jussi Jokinen has recorded 12 points (3-9−12) in 16 career games against STL.
- D Brian Campbell has recorded ten points (4-6−10) in 25 career games against STL.
- G Roberto Luongo owns a 15-11-1 record with three shutouts in 28 career games against STL.
- G Al Montoya owns a 1-2-1 record in four career games against STL.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Florida F Brad Boyes played 327 games (2007-11) for St. Louis, recording 232 points (106-126--232).
- St. Louis D Jay Bouwmeester was selected by Florida in the first round (third overall) of the 2002 NHL Draft. Bouwmeester played 471 games (2002-09) recording 203 points (53-150--203).
Dec. 12 at Detroit Red Wings (17-6-5)
All-Time Record against Detroit: 8-13-5-3
All-Time Record against Detroit on the road: 5-5-3-1
The Panthers faced the Red Wings in Joe Louis Arena last week earning a 4-3 win to close out their road trip. The Cats return to the Motor City ten days after the win looking for similar success. Two of Florida's young players had something of a homecoming as D Aaron Ekblad (grew up in nearby Windsor, Ontario) and F Vincent Trocheck (played minor hockey in Detroit) had memorable nights. Ekblad recorded the game-winning goal while Trocheck recorded a career-high three points in a game in the contest.
KNOW YOUR OPPOSITION -- DETROIT
- F Pavel Datsyuk has recorded 19 points (7-12−19) in 14 career games against FLA.
- F Henrik Zetterberg has recorded nine points (2-7−9) in 11 career games against FLA.
-D Niklas Kronwall has recorded six points (0-6--6) in 12 career games against FLA.
- G Jimmy Howard owns a 2-1-1 record in four career games against FLA.
CATS VS. WINGS
- F Brad Boyes has recorded 22 points (10-12−22) in 32 career games against DET.
- D Brian Campbell has recorded 16 points (2-14−16) in 30 career games against DET.
- F Vincent Trocheck has recorded three points (1-2−3) in one career game against DET.
- G Roberto Luongo owns a 12-13-5 record in 31 career games against DET.
- G Al Montoya owns a 1-0-0 record in one career game against DET.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Panthers F Tomas Fleischmann was drafted by Detroit in the second round (63rd overall) of the 2002 NHL Draft.
- Panthers F Tomas Kopecky was drafted by Detroit in the second round (38th overall) of the 2000 NHL Draft. Kopecky won a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings (2008) and recorded 32 points (12-20--32) in 183 games.
-Panthers G Al Montoya played for the University of Michigan (2002-05) owning a 86-29-8 record with three shutouts in 83 games.
- Red Wings F Stephen Weiss was drafted by Florida in the first round (fourth overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft. Weiss' 654 games (2001-13) as a Panther ranks as the most games by any player in a Panthers uniform. Weiss recorded 394 points (145-249--394) during his time as a Panther, ranking him second all-time in scoring among Florida players and first all-time in assists.
Dec. 13 vs. Buffalo Sabres (9-16-2)
All-Time Record vs. Buffalo: 33-38-4-6
All-Time Record against Buffalo on the road: 14-21-3-3
The Panthers and Sabres meet again a week after their matchup on Dec. 6 in which the Cats extended their winning streak against Buffalo to three games. According to Elias Sports Bureau, D Aaron Ekblad's three assist performance in last week's game against Buffalo, made him the second rookie defenseman in franchise history to accomplish this feat. D Dan Boyle was the last rookie defenseman for Florida to record three assists in a game (1-2--3 Feb 24, 1999 vs. PHI).
KNOW YOUR OPPOSITION -- BUFFALO
- F Brian Gionta has posted 29 points (19-10−29) in 41 career games against FLA.
- F Drew Stafford has recorded 16 points (10-6−16) in 29 career games against FLA.
- G Jhonas Enroth owns a 1-1-1 record in three career games against FLA
- G Michael Neuvirth owns a 3-5-1 record in 12 career games aagainst FLA.
CATS VS. SABRES
- Panthers D Brian Campbell has recorded seven points (2-5−7) in 14 career games against BUF.
- Panthers F Brad Boyes has recorded 17 points (5-12−17) in 28 career games against BUF.
- Panthers F Nick Bjugstad has recorded four points (2-2−4) in six career games against BUF.
- G Roberto Luongo owns a 12-6-0 record with four shutouts in 21 career games against BUF.
- G Al Montoya owns a 3-0-1 record with a shutout in four career games against BUF.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Panthers D Brian Campbell was selected by Buffalo in the sixth round (155th overall) of the 1997 NHL Entry Draft. Campbell played 391 games for the Sabres (1999-2008) recording 176 points (32-144-176).
- Panthers F Brad Boyes played 86 games for Buffalo (2010-12), recording 37 points (13-24-37).
- Sabres D Tyson Strachan played 53 games for Florida (2011-13) recording seven points (1-6-7).
- Panthers radio play-by-play announcer Randy Moller played 126 games for Buffalo (1991-94) during his playing days, recording 25 points (5-20−25) and 296 PIMs.