Skip to Main Content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Oilers drop 5-1 decision to San Jose

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
San Jose carried most of the play early on, pinning Edmonton deep in their zone and unable to make a line change for close to a minute. Brad Winchester eventually chipped it out and the Sharks went offside trying to keep it in.

Roloson was also called upon to make some big stops early, denying Ryane Clowe on a chance from the slot during what was San Jose's best opportunity in the opening minutes.

The Oilers netminder made another big stop just as the period reached the midway point. He managed to slide across and kick the puck away just when it looked like Sharks forward Marcel Goc had a wide-open side on the wraparound.

Shots on goal with 7:20 left in the period was 8-2 for San Jose.

Coach Craig MacTavish did some line juggling in an attempt to get his team going. He put Ryan Smyth, Fernando Pisani and Shawn Horcoff together and it paid off immediately.

The line rushed into the Sharks zone where Smyth left a neat back pass to Horcoff who then fed it to Pisani in the high slot. Pisani's wrister went off the shoulder of Toskala and then bounced off Sharks defenceman Doug Murray before going in.

On the next shift, the Oilers looked to add to their lead as Toskala mishandled the puck behind his net. It went straight to Jarret Stoll who fired the puck at the open cage but the Sharks netminder managed to recover enough to make the save.

The Oilers ran into some penalty trouble late in the period with back-to-back minors to Brad Winchester and Jarret Stoll.

With 20 seconds left in the Stoll penalty, Ryane Clowe was behind the net where he found Joe Thornton perched at the right post. Thornton one-timed it past Roloson, who could not get across in time to make the save.

After one, shots were 13-6 for the visiting Sharks.

Neither team registered a single shot on goal through the first three-and-a-half minutes of the period but on the period's first shot, the Sharks took the lead.

Marc-Edouard Vlasic's point shot was tipped on its way to the net by Clowe. Patrick Marleau then pounced on the loose puck and slipped it past Roloson to give the visitors a 2-1 edge.

With 10:38 to go in the second, the Oilers went on their first power play of the game when Curtis Brown was sent off for tripping. However, the man advantage was short lived after a questionable hooking call on Smyth.

Jan Hejda then took a hooking penalty with 43 seconds left in the Smyth minor giving the Sharks a two-man advantage and their sixth power play of the night. 19 seconds into the five-on-three some outstanding penalty killing by Jarret Stoll drew a Sharks minor penalty to Marleau and got the Oilers out of a jam. Stoll created a turnover and then skated into the San Jose zone on a partial break.

While the teams were four-on-four, Hemsky and Horcoff went in on a two-on-one. Hemsky fed the puck over but Horcoff was denied by Toskala.

Shortly after the Marleau penalty expired, a bad bounce saw the puck get away from Bergeron at the point. The Sharks created a three-on-one out of the turnover with Mike Grier's wrister from the slot beating Roloson.

Just over two minutes later, Patrick Rissmiller redirected a shot from Josh Gorges high glove side to extend the San Jose lead to 4-1.

After two, shots were 27-13 for the Sharks.

The Oilers had a late surge in the third with several opportunities to close the gap. Horcoff had a partial break but his blast from the right circle went wide.

Several minutes later the line of Hemsky, Sykora and Nedved had several chances to score. Hemsky couldn't get a handle on a rebound in front after Toskala kicked away Bergeron's initial shot.

Patrick Marleau added his second of the game with 26.1 seconds remaining in the game, one-timing a cross-ice feed from Thornton.
View More