Skip to main content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Canucks 6, Oilers 2

by Staff Writer / Edmonton Oilers
The Canucks carried the play early on and their sustained pressure in the Oilers zone eventually paid off in the game's first goal.

Eight minutes into the first, Markus Naslund carried the puck into the Edmonton zone before moving it to Ryan Kesler in the corner. Kesler centered the puck and it took an odd bounce before coming to Jan Bulis in the slot. Bulis wristed it past Markkanen's outstretched blocker hand for the goal.

Markkanen made a big stop four minutes later, kicking out a pad to deny Henrik Sedin on a redirection from the slot.

On the next shift, Cowan and Jean-Francois Jacques squared off at centre ice with Jacques getting the decision after busting open the newly-acquired Canucks forward.

With five minutes left in the period, Fernando Pisani turned a broken play into a great scoring opportunity. He managed to chip the puck past the Canucks defenceman and then whacked at the rolling puck in an effort to get it past Luongo.

Edmonton had a power play opportunity late in the first but had trouble getting set up as Vancouver's fifth-ranked penalty kill did a good job limiting chances.

With 26 seconds to go in the period, Steve Staios levelled Vancouver forward Taylor Pyatt at the Oilers blueline. Pyatt took exception to Staios' actions and dropped the gloves with the Edmonton defenceman.

After one period, shots on goal were 7-5 for the Oilers.

An early bench minor for too many men put Vancouver on its first power play of the game and it didn't take long for the Canucks to capitalize.

Kevin Bieksa blasted a shot from the right point that was skillfully tipped out of mid-air by Daniel Sedin into the top corner behind Markkanen, doubling the Vancouver lead.

Pisani almost scored Edmonton's first of the night as he tried to break in behind the Canucks defence but a nice play by Rory Fitzpatrick poked the puck away at the last minute before he could get a shot off.

Things got heated between the two sides after Alex Burrows chopped down Staios with a high stick in the corner of the Oilers zone. After the incident, a skirmish ensued resulting in additional penalties to Stoll and Kesler.

The power play was shortlived as Ryan Smyth was sent off for hooking about a minute into the man advantage. With Smyth just exiting the box, the Canucks capitalized after Sami Salo's blast from the left circle beat a screened Markkanen to make it a 3-0 game.

With Stoll in the box serving a roughing minor late in the second, Vancouver scored again to take a 4-0 lead. Mattias Ohlund blasted the puck past Markkanen for the goal.

Vancouver almost made it 5-0 a minute later after Naslund put the puck in after crashing the net but referee Bill McCreary ruled that the whistle had gone before the puck went in.

After two, the Oilers trailed by four goals despite outshooting Vancouver 17-16.

40 seconds into the third, Edmonton struck for its first goal of the night and shortened the Canucks' lead to 4-1. Smyth picked up the puck behind the Vancouver net and with Luongo out of position, threw it out front to Pouliot who put it into the open net.

Edmonton continued to carry the play in the final frame but could not seem to break through on Luongo. The Canucks netminder was stellar in stopping the first shot and gave little in the way of rebounds.

Vancouver took a 5-1 lead with 4:58 to go in the period. After killing off a penalty, Mattias Ohlund came out of the box and was sprung in alone by Brendan Morrison. Ohlund made no mistake, deking Markkanen before scoring on the backhand despite being hooked from behind by Tjarnqvist.

A minute later, the Oilers struck to make it a three-goal game once again. Torres found Horcoff at the top of the crease and he banged it in for his fifth of the season.

However, the Canucks' Daniel Sedin potted his second of the night 38 seconds after Horcoff's marker to take a 6-2 lead.
View More