The Bakersfield Condors have named Gerry Fleming as the head coach of their squad as it enters its first season in the AHL. From the official Condors press release:GERRY FLEMING NAMED HEAD COACH OF THE BAKERSFIELD CONDORS
J-F Houle and Tony Borgford to serve as assistant coaches; staff announced
CONDORSTOWN, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors, of the American Hockey League (AHL) and owned by the Edmonton Oilers, announced today that Gerry Fleming has been named the team's head coach. In addition, Jean-François (J-F) Houle and Tony Borgford have been named assistant coaches. Oilers Assistant General Manager Bill Scott will serve as the Condors general manager.
Other members of the hockey operations staff announced were Head Athletic Trainer Josh Bennett, Head Equipment Manager Al Oman, and Head Strength and Conditioning Coach Patrick Love. WHAT OILERS ASSISTANT GM BILL SCOTT SAYS:
"We are thrilled to announce our hockey operations staff, led by Head Coach Gerry Fleming, who will be a tremendous leader in Bakersfield. Gerry's attention to detail and ability to develop our young players made him a natural fit to return as head coach, By adding JF Houle as assistant coach and with the return of Assistant Coach Tony Borgford, we believe we have a tremendous coaching staff ready to take the Condors to the next level."GERRY FLEMING (48 years old, from Montreal, Quebec)
J-F HOULE (40 years old, from Charlesbourg, Quebec)
|Head Coach Gerry Fleming (right) and Assistant Tony Borgford (left) will be joined by J-F Houle on the Bakersfield Condors coaching staff in 2015-16 (photo by Steven Christy/OKC Barons) |
- Replaced Todd Nelson as head coach in Oklahoma City (AHL) last season on December15, 2014 and posted a 26-21-3-1 (.549) record, leading the Barons to their fifth straight postseason appearance.
- Took the Barons to the second round after sweeping San Antonio in the Calder Cup Playoffs before falling in Game 7 to the eventual Western Conference Champions, Utica Comets.
- Served as an assistant coach for the Oilers AHL team since 2008-09, both in Springfield (2008-10) and Oklahoma City (2010-2014), prior to taking over as head coach last season.
- Spent eight seasons as a head coach in the ECHL from 2000-2008, with Tallahassee and most notably with the Florida Everblades from 2001-2008.
- Posted an overall record of 282-162-60 (.619) with Florida including back-to-back Kelly Cup Finals appearances in 2004 and 2005.
- Began his coaching career as an assistant coach in the AHL with Fredericton (1998-99) and Quebec (1999-2000) under current Montreal Canadiens Head Coach Michel Therrien.
- As a player, played seven seasons in the AHL with Fredericton and earned a call-up to Montreal on two occasions which totaled 11 games in the NHL.
TONY BORGFORD (40 years old, from Regina, Saskatchewan)
- Head coach of the 2014-15 ECHL Bakersfield Condors
- Compiled four consecutive 40-win seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with Lewiston and Blainville-Boisbriand
- Previously an assistant coach at his alma mater, Clarkson (NY) University, from 2003-2010.
- As a player, he played under Fleming twice. Once, in Fredericton in 1998-99 where Fleming was an assistant coach. Second, in 2000-01, where he captained Fleming's team in Tallahassee.
ABOUT THE HOCKEY OPS STAFF
- Joined the Oilers organization last season as an assistant coach with the Oklahoma City Barons.
- Worked three seasons with the NHL's Winnipeg Jets as a video coordinator/coach from 2011-2014.
- Was a video coordinator with the Atlanta Thrashers for eight seasons, from 1999 until the team relocated to Winnipeg in 2011.
- Played four seasons at Mercyhurst (Penn.) College from 1995-1999
STAFF TO BE FORMALLY INTRODUCED NEXT WEEK - DETAILS TO FOLLOW
- Al Oman (Head Equipment Manager) enters his 4th season with the Oilers organization. Josh Bennett, ATC (Head Athletic Trainer) enters his 3rd season and Patrick Love (Head Strength and Conditioning Coach) enters his 2nd campaign.
- Oman, originally from Florida, becomes the head equipment manager after serving as an assistant with the Barons.
- Bennett, from Maine, holds a Master's degree in Physical Education from Winthrop University.
- Love holds a Master's degree in Wellness Management - Exercise Science from the University of Central Oklahoma.
Fleming, Houle, and Borgford will be formally introduced to the public and media next week. Details on the event will follow. BE A PART OF HISTORY!! - CONDORS OPENING NIGHT SATURDAY, OCT. 10
Join the Condors on their historic move to the American Hockey League in 2015-16. Become a ticket member and enjoy all of the great benefits by contacting the Condors at 324-PUCK (7825) or click here for more information.