Home Team in Caps
Tampa Bay 2, NY RANGERS 0 – TBL lead series 3-2
BISHOP, LIGHTNING TAKE 3-2 SERIES LEAD AGAINST RANGERS
Ben Bishop made 26 saves and the Tampa Bay Lightning scored twice in the second period to take a 3-2 series lead against the New York Rangers in the Eastern Conference Final.
* The Lightning are one win away from reaching the Stanley Cup Final for the second time in their history. Tampa Bay’s previous appearance was in 2004, when they defeated the Calgary Flames in seven games to win their first Stanley Cup.
* It was Bishop’s second shutout of the postseason. Overall, Bishop improved to 11-7 in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs with a 2.08 goals-against average and a .922 save percentage.
* According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Bishop was the first goaltender to shut out NYR in the conference final or Stanley Cup Final at Madison Square Garden since the Los Angeles Kings’ Jonathan Quick made 32 saves June 9, 2014, in a 3-0 win in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup Final at NYR. Elias adds that prior to Quick, the last goaltender to do so was the Boston Bruins’ Gerry Cheevers, who made 33 saves May 11, 1972, in a 3-0 win in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final at NYR.
* Bishop joined Nikolai Khabibulin (five playoff shutouts with TBL) as the only goaltenders in Lightning history to post multiple playoff shutouts. Bishop also joined Khabibulin as the only goaltenders in Lightning history to post a shutout in the conference final or Stanley Cup Final. Khabibulin made 29 saves May 31, 2004, in Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final at CGY (1-0 W).
* Bishop also improved to 11-2-0 with three shutouts in 13 career decisions vs. NYR (regular season and playoffs).
* Steven Stamkos (1-1—2) scored his seventh goal of the postseason on a power-play and had an assist for his fifth multipoint game of the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Three of his five such performances have come during his career-high postseason four-game goal streak (4-3—7).
* Elias notes that Stamkos’ four-game goal streak equaled a Lightning playoff record. Vincent Lecavalier had a four-game goal streak from April 12-18, 2007 (5-1—6 in Games 1-4 of the EQF vs. the New Jersey Devils), and Martin St. Louis had a four-game goal streak from April 15-20, 2003 (5-3—8 in Games 3-6 of the EQF vs. the Washington Capitals).
* Stamkos has seven goals and 10 assists in 18 games in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs, including 7-7—14 in his past 10 GP.
* Valtteri Filppula opened the scoring in the second period with his third goal of the postseason. The goal also stood as his fifth career game-winner in the playoffs and his first such goal with the Lightning.
* Ondrej Palat (0-1—1) has six goals and eight assists in 18 games in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs, including 5-6—11 in his past 9 GP. Nikita Kucherov (0-1—1) has seven goals and 10 assists in 18 games in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
* The Lightning boast three of the top-five scorers in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Tyler Johnson leads the League with 18 points (12 goals), and Stamkos (7-10—17) and Kucherov (7-10—17) are tied with Corey Perry (9-8—17) and Ryan Getzlaf (2-15—17) of the Anaheim Ducks for second.
* Tampa Bay has won five of its past six visits to Madison Square Garden (regular season and playoffs) dating to Jan. 14, 2014 (2-1 W).
* ICYMI: Click here to watch Lightning fans celebrate their Game 5 victory.
The Lightning improved to 8-0 in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs when leading after two periods... The Rangers have allowed two goals or fewer in 13 of 17 playoff games this year, including 12 of their past 15 games... Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist made 20 saves but fell to 10-7 in the 2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs with a 2.06 goals-against average and a .929 save percentage... New York defenseman Marc Staal played his 85th career NHL playoff game and tied Don Maloney for third on the Rangers’ all-time playoff games played list. He also passed Ron Greschner for sole possession of second on the Rangers’ all-time playoff games played list among defensemen... New York defenseman Ryan McDonagh played his 79th career playoff game and tied Rod Gilbert for seventh on the Rangers’ all-time playoff games played list... New York forward Carl Hagelin played his 71st career playoff game and passed Mark Messier and Jeff Beukeboom for sole possession of 10th on the Rangers’ all-time playoff games played list... ICYMI: A Rangers fan had a portrait of Lundqvist shaved into his head... Comedian Larry David was in attendance at Madison Square Garden to show his support for the Rangers... Actor Kevin Dillon of the HBO series-turned-movie Entourage was also in attendance alongside the show’s creator Doug Ellin.