Skip to Main Content

Sabres make it two in a row at home @NHLdotcom
The Buffalo Sabres gave their fans another reason to cheer on Monday night.
Tyler Myers scored 4:37 into overtime to lift as the Sabres won their second straight home game with a 4-3 victory against the Vancouver Canucks at HSBC Arena.

Myers tookdefenseman Dan Hamhuis' giveaway in the slot and put a wrist shot past goalie Cory Schneider for the winner.

"It was tough," Hamhuis said of his turnover. "The puck just bounced off my stick. We just gave them too many chances."

Tyler Ennis, Cody McCormick and Steve Montador also scored for the Sabres (7-9-3), who were winless in their first seven games in Buffalo.

"I think it just goes to show that we battle right to the end," Myers said. "We don't want to be letting teams back in it like that in the third, but when they tied it up it we showed good character that we didn't just fall apart. We kept going and pushed right to the end."

Ryan Miller made 36 saves and kept the Sabres in it by stopping all 15 shots the Canucks recorded in the first period. Buffalo led 2-0 after 20 minutes.

Derek Roy and Thomas Vanek each added a pair of assists for the Sabres.

"Losing hurt, but we kept working hard," Vanek said of his team's sluggish start. "We knew we were going to turn it around. We dug ourselves a pretty good hole, but slowly we are climbing out of it. We're righting the ship here pretty good, but we have to keep going."

Daniel Sedin had a goal and assist, Alexander Edler and Mikael Samuelsson also scored, and Schneider made 35 saves for the Northwest Division-leading Canucks (10-4-3), who have dropped two of four after winning six straight.

Henrik Sedin added three assists for Vancouver.

Edler made it 3-2 at 4:48 of the third period when he fired in a slap shot from the point during a power play.

Samuelsson then tied it with 10:39 left in regulation by sweeping the puck in from the bottom of the left circle.

With Vancouver trailing 2-0, Daniel Sedin cut the Canucks' deficit in half with a power-play goal 7:18 into the second period. His slap shot from the right circle zipped past a screened Miller.

Montador restored Buffalo's two-goal edge with a one-timer from the middle of the blue line to make it 3-1 with 6:35 left in the second.

The Sabres opened the scoring when Ennis slipped the puck through Schneider's legs from in tight on Buffalo's first shot at 8:22 of the first. The Canucks had held a 9-0 shot advantage.

"It was a hard fought game by a couple of good teams," Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault said. "They've been playing some great hockey lately. Anybody who saw that game would have seen that there were two great teams out there."

McCormick pushed Buffalo's lead to 2-0 with 2:58 left in the first. After Schneider stopped McCormick's initial redirection, the gritty forward swept at the rebound with a behind-the-back backhand that banked in off a sprawled Schneider.
Material from wire services and team media was used in this report.
View More

The NHL has updated its Privacy Policy effective January 16, 2020. We encourage you to review it carefully.

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.