Skip to main content

Matthew Ius emerges as shootout hero as Silvertips edge Giants 4-3 @NHLdotcom

VANCOUVER - Matthew Ius's shootout goal gave the Everett Silvertips a 4-3 victory over the Vancouver Giants in Western Hockey League action Wednesday night.

Ius, an 18-year-old winger from the Vancouver suburb of Ridge Meadows, was Everett's ninth shooter. It was his first career shootout winner as the Silvertips scored three times and the Giants twice in the extra session.

Kellan Tochkin's back-to-back goals in the final 3:01 of the third period helped the Silvertips erase a 3-1 deficit. Kyle Beach also scored for the Silvertips (4-4-1-0) before a dejected crowd of 5,552 at the Pacific Coliseum.

James Wright, Jon Blum and Mike Piluso scored for Vancouver (7-0-0-3) in regulation time.

The Giants suffered their second straight shootout loss, but have yet to lose in regulation time. The hosts outshot the Silvertips 40-25 while going two-for-three on the power play. Everett also had three man-advantage opportunities, but did not score on any of them.

Vancouver led 1-0 after the first period and 2-0 after the second but could not hold onto the lead late in the game.

Tochkin's second goal of the game with 1:13 left in the third period forced overtime and the shootout. Standing in goaltender Tyson Sexsmith's crease, Tochkin tipped in Shane Harper's goalmouth pass.

Wright opened the scoring 10:53 into the first period as he went around Beach, a 2008 first-round draft choice of the Chicago Blackhawks, and stuffed the puck in on Everett goaltender Shayne Barrie's short side.

Blum gave the Giants a 2-0 advantage on a power play at 16:37 of the second period as he tucked in a back-door pass from Casey Pierro-Zabotel.

Beach put Everett on the scoreboard with a breakaway goal at 7:29 of the third period, reducing Vancouver's lead to 2-1.

Piluso gave the Giants a 3-1 advantage on a power play at 16:36 as he converted Evander Kane's pass from behind the net. But Tochkin pulled the Silvertips back within a goal only 23 seconds later, setting the stage for his tying goal.

There was a delay following overtime as the Zamboni left a trail of snow down the middle of the ice and had to come out a second time. Referee Matt Kirk then refused to let the Zamboni driver from leaving and ordered him to scrape a wider path.

Vancouver defenceman Brent Regner sat out because of a staph infection.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.