Skip to main content

Jason Jaffray scores hat trick as St. John's IceCaps beats Connecticut Whale 8-4 @NHLdotcom

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - A shattered pane of glass broke the ice for the St. John's IceCaps offence, which scored five unanswered goals in a 8-4 victory over the Connecticut Whale in American Hockey League action Saturday night.

A panel of glass shattered after a big hit in the IceCaps' defensive zone and took over four minutes to fix, giving St. John's a rest after being under siege by the Whale in the second and allowing them to rally back into the game from a 4-3 deficit.

"I think it just gave us a little momentum, time to regroup,? said IceCaps defenceman Jason DeSantis said. "We came back out and had a good period. The first two periods were a little sloppy, and we weren't getting pucks deep. We started getting pucks deep, our passing was on and fortunately we got some nice goals there."

Jason Jaffray scored a hat trick while DeSantis, Zach Redmond, Marco Rosa, Patrice Cormier and Carl Klingberg added one apiece for the IceCaps (10-2-3).

John Mitchell replied with two goals for the Whale (7-3-3) while Carl Hagelin and Tim Erixon chipped in with singles.

St. John's head coach Keith McCambridge said Jaffray's hat trick was well deserved.

"I know (Jaffray's) family was here tonight to visit so I'm sure they're proud of him," said McCambridge. "He deserved it, he played hard. He's been playing really well this season and of late, so it's really nice to see him rewarded."

Jaffray was happy to put up a hat trick, but deflected a lot of praise to the younger players on the team who have stepped in due to call-ups to the NHL's Winnipeg Jets.

"Give a lot of credit to those guys," said the IceCaps captain. "It's tough staying positive, it's tough going to the gym every day and doing the same workouts, and getting bag-skated after practice and stuff like that. They have been outstanding."

The IceCaps jumped out to an early lead when Jaffray scored a goal 1:14 into the first period. The captain took a cross-ice feed from Spencer Machacek before firing home a top-shelf wrist shot over Whale goaltender Cameron Talbot's right shoulder.

DeSantis put the home team ahead by two when he toe-dragged past his marker and fired a wrist shot into the net over Talbot's right shoulder.

But the Whale drew even quickly when Mitchell scored two goals in a 2:08 span.

Redmond scored to put the IceCaps up 3-2 on a goal that saw Talbot pulled for Chad Johnson. A busy period ended after Erixon's power-play goal tied the game at three.

Hagelin gave Connecticut its first lead of the game after converting a penalty shot 6:33 into the second.

But that was it for the Whale's offence as Jaffray, who spun around a defenceman, and Cormier each scored in the final 1:06 of the period.

Klingberg and Rosa made it 7-4 for St. John's in the third, and Jaffray squeaked in a power-play goal with less than a minute left to complete the hat trick.

IceCaps goaltender Edward Pasquale made 26 saves for the win, while Talbot and Johnson combined to stop 33 shots.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.