Skip to Main Content

Cornell upsets Michigan in NCAA Midwest semis @NHLdotcom
Rodger Craig's goal 3:35 into overtime gave fourth-seeded Cornell a 3-2 victory against top-seeded Michigan on Friday night in the second semifinal of the NCAA Midwest Regional in Green Bay.

Craig carried the puck down the left side and dished it to Dustin Mowrey in the left circle. Mowrey slid a pass into the slot for an onrushing Greg Miller, whose shot was stopped by Shawn Hunwick. But Craig went to the net, picked up the rebound and backhanded it into the net for the win, moving Cornell (19-8-7) into the regional final against Ferris State. The second-seeded Bulldogs edged Denver 2-1 in the opener. Cornell and Ferris State haven’t faced each other since 1998.

Michigan (24-13-4), the second seed in the tournament got off to a fast start when senior Luke Glendening knocked his own rebound past Andy Iles just 1:11 into the game. The Wolverines, who lost the final of the CCHA tournament, thought they had made it 2-0 less than 30 seconds later when Kevin Lynch put the puck past Iles,  but the officials ruled that Michigan's Luke Moffatt had interfered with Iles, and the goal was taken off the board.

Cornell, the 14th seed in the 16-team draw, evened the game at 10:10 on a power-play goal by John McCarron, then went ahead 40 seconds into the second period when Joakim Ryan scored a shorthanded goal. The Big Red of the ECACHL spent most of the rest of the period killing penalties -- Michigan had five power plays, including a long one after Armand de Swardt was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for a hit to the head.

Cornell killed off another Michigan power play midway through the third period, but the Wolverines tied it with 4:01 remaining in regulation when Kevin Lynch fired a rebound past Iles. Michigan pressed for the win and nearly had it in the final 15 seconds, but Iles and his defense combined to keep the puck out of the net during a scramble.

Iles finished with 30 saves. Hunwick made 19, including one on a second-period penalty shot by Locke Jillson.

In the first game, Ferris State, which entered the regional winless in four of its last five games, got goals by Jordie Johnson and Simon Denis, then held on to beat Denver.

Johnston, a senior, put the Bulldogs (24-11-5) ahead 1-0 at 4:30 of the second period with his 19th of the season, finishing off a centering feed from Garrett Thompson, who drove down the right side.

Denis, a freshman, scored his first goal of the season 2:54 into the third period to put the Bulldogs ahead 2-0.

Taylor Nelson, who finished with 25 saves, lost his shutout when Drew Shore scored at 5:22. The Pioneers (25-14-4) pulled their goalie with 2:17 left in the game and peppered Nelson but couldn't score again.

East Regional
Union 3, Michigan State 1
UMass-Lowell 4, Miami of Ohio 3 (OT)

Union College won for the first time ever in NCAA tournament play by beating Michigan State to advance to the East Regional final in Bridgeport, Conn. The Dutchmen will face Lowell, which blew a 3-0 third-period lead before beating Miami in overtime.

The Dutchmen, champions of the ECACHL and the top seed in the region, opened the scoring at 15:09 of the opening period when Max Novak beat goaltender Will Yanakeff with a wrister from the left circle. It was the first NCAA tournament goal in school history for Union, which is making its second trip to the NCAA tourney and was blanked in its lone game last year.

Union (25-7-7) made it 2-0 at 3:20 of the second period when Jeremy Welsh picked up the rebound of Mat Bodie's point shot, stepped around Yanakeff and fired home the rebound for his team-high 26th goal of the season.

The fourth-seeded Spartans (19-16-4) of the CCHA cut the deficit to one goal when Matt Berry scored on a power play with 39 seconds left in the period. But Wayne Simpson's power-play goal with 1:18 left in regulation iced the win for Union.

Troy Grosenick stopped 20 shots for Union. Yanakeff made 29 saves for MSU, which was making its first tournament appearance since 2008.

In the second game, UMass-Lowell -- making its first tournament appearance since 1996 -- blew a 3-0 lead but advanced when Riley Wetmore scored his second of the game 2:13 into overtime.

The third-seeded River Hawks (24-12-1), the regular-season runner-up in Hockey East, jumped out to a 1-0 lead when Josh Holmstrom scored a power-play goal just 1:34 after the opening faceoff, then doubled their lead at 14:58 when Colin Wright beat Connor Knapp on a shorthanded breakaway.

Wetmore made it 3-0 at 2:21 of the second period, and Lowell looked to have the game well in hand with three-goal lead entering the third period. But the Red Hawks (24-15-2), fourth in the CCHA, this season, killed off an early penalty before tying the game with three goals in less than seven minutes.

Trevor Vogelhuber got Miami on the board at 3:06, and Austin Czarnik made it a one-goal game just 14 seconds later. With the Red Hawks dominating play, Alden Hirschfeld tied it at 9:56 -- and Miami had a golden opportunity to take the lead when Lowell's Jake Suter was hit with a five-minute major and a game misconduct at 16:25 for checking from behind.

However, the River Hawks killed the penalty, which extended into overtime, before Wetmore's game-winner.
View More