Skip to main content


Canucks score twice in third to defeat Rangers @NHL

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver Canucks were outplayed early but recovered to win a wild third period and beat the New York Rangers.

Daniel Sedin and defenseman Alexander Edler took turns setting up each other for goals in the third period, and the Canucks defeated the Rangers 2-1 at Rogers Arena on Wednesday.

Edler one-timed a drop pass from Sedin over the glove of Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist during a 5-on-3 power play 3:19 into the third period. New York defenseman Dan Boyle tied the game on a penalty shot at 8:54, but Sedin restored the lead 30 seconds later by redirecting Edler's slap pass from the point past Lundqvist from just above the goal line.

"Our response after the penalty shot goal was amazing," said goaltender Ryan Miller, who made 32 saves. "You could tell the bench was fired up about the call but not so much they were going to go off their game."

Instead, Daniel Sedin restored the lead on the next shift after a nice fake shot by Edler at the point, one-touching the hard pass and over Lundqvist before he could get back to the post after challenging to the top of his crease on Edler's apparent point shot.

"It was a great pass by [Edler]," Sedin said. "I was fortunate to tip it in. It was a pretty tough angle."

The Rangers used their coach's challenge, claiming goalie interference after contact between Jannik Hansen and Lundqvist at the top of the crease before the goal, but Lundqvist knew the goal would count.

"Was there contact? Yeah, but it was not enough to call it goalie interference so that was a good goal," Lundqvist said. "It was a tough play, we tie it up, worked really hard the whole game to get our goal and to create chances and then a tough faceoff, guy gets caught on the wrong side, puck is dropped and they walked right in."

Henrik Sedin had two assists for the Canucks (11-11-8), who won consecutive games for the first time since Nov. 2. Vancouver has five wins since then and five wins at home all season. But despite being outshot badly in the first period, the Canucks players saw their ability to beat the Rangers as a sign things are starting to turn around.

"In the past maybe we were letting that one slip away," Daniel Sedin said. "We battled hard and got through the first period. Then I thought we played a little better in the second and the third I thought was a real good period for us. It's starting to go the right way for us. We're feeling better about ourselves for sure."

Lundqvist made 23 saves for the Rangers (18-7-3), who were coming off a 4-1 win against the Ottawa Senators on Sunday but are 2-5-1 in the past eight games.

New York players and coach Alain Vigneault pointed to a lot of positives from the first two periods, but the Rangers were undone by four straight penalties early in the third period.

With Dominic Moore in the penalty box for hooking, Jarett Stoll was penalized for delay of game after lying on a puck in the New York zone while killing the penalty. Edler capitalized during the 36 seconds of 5-on-3 with a shot that went into the net off the crossbar.

"I'm not exactly sure what he is supposed to do there," Vigneault said of the call against Stoll. "He blocks a shot, puck is underneath him, he's got four guys poking at him."

Stoll talked to the referee after but wasn't fully satisfied with the explanation.

"He thought maybe I covered it, kept it within my body and I understand if I gloved it and held it within my hand that's one thing, but if it's just within my body and they are hacking and whacking at it trying to get it out of there, there is no way I could get up on that I don't think," Stoll said. "So it's one of those tough calls, especially when we are killing 5-on-4 and to make that call to go down 5-on-3 is definitely tough."

The two-man advantage continued when the Rangers, upset over the call on Stoll, were given a bench minor for unsportsmanlike conduct after the goal, and defenseman Ryan McDonagh took a penalty for high sticking Alexandre Burrows in front of the net.

"I guess we were complaining too much," Vigneault said.

The Canucks couldn't add another 5-on-3 goal before Burrows' interference penalty 44 seconds later, and Boyle tied it on penalty shot after defenseman Christopher Tanev closed his hand on the puck in the crease during a scramble around Miller.

Boyle came in slowly and deked around Miller, spreading out the goalie before tucking his first goal of the season past his left skate and inside the post. It was Boyle's first NHL penalty shot goal in his 1,042nd game, but the tie didn't last long.

Lundqvist never saw Daniel Sedin moving in on his right as Edler wound up at the point.

"I should have known, but that's what they do, they creep around the corners and then come in for a play like that," Lundqvist said. "You have to respect the shot on top, especially with a lot of traffic in front, I have to challenge."

The Rangers had a chance to tie it after Burrows was called for knocking the net off its mooring during another scramble around the Vancouver crease, but Boyle hit the post on a power play with about seven minutes left.

The win may have been a costly one for the Canucks: The scramble that led to Burrows' penalty started with defenseman Dan Hamhuis taking a Boyle slap shot off the face.

"He took the shot in the mouth, just on the upper part of his mouth, and lost some teeth," coach Willie Desjardins said. "I would assume it probably broke his jaw up there. He'll probably spend the night in the hospital, but everything's fine."

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.