Skip to main content

Canucks edge Stars in shootout @NHLdotcom

The Vancouver Canucks got an unwelcome piece of news before taking the ice Sunday night when they learned one of their top forwards, Daniel Sedin, will miss the next four-to-six weeks with a foot injury.

It didn't affect them once the first puck dropped, however, as they picked up their second win in a row, 4-3 in a shootout over the Dallas Stars at GM Place.

Kyle Wellwood and Ryan Kesler beat Marty Turco in the penalty-shot tiebreaker. Brad Richards missed the net on the Stars' first attempt and Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo stopped Mike Ribeiro to clinch the second point.

"It was a sloppy game as far as both sides, but we found a way to battle it out," said Luongo, who was 11-11 in shootouts before this season but has altered his approach, coming out aggressively. It worked this time.

"That was not the way we wanted to win, but we found a way to win," he said.

Sedin took a shot off his foot in Vancouver's 7-1 win over Montreal on Wednesday that got the team going after an 0-3-0 start. For a team that lost Luongo for an extended period of time last season, the Canucks have experience playing without a vital cog on their team.

"I think we have some guys who are looking at the bigger prize as far as what we're trying to build into as a team," said defenseman Willie Mitchell, who scored his second goal of the season to put the Canucks ahead 3-2 in the third.

"Maybe they can play a little higher line up on other teams and be a little more offensive role, and I think you'll see the coaches give those guys a little bit of a chance here with Daniel out. We'll need those guys to step up and help fill his shoes as best we can."

Jamie Benn's first NHL goal forced overtime for the Stars. All five skaters for Dallas had a hand in the goal, which ended with Benn finishing off a pinpoint pass from Ribeiro and beating Luongo with 1:33 left in regulation.

Kesler, Alexandre Burrows also scored in regulation for Vancouver and Luongo finished with 32 saves.

Ribeiro and Richards had the Dallas goals. Turco stopped 22 shots, but was helpless in the shootout. Wellwood used several fakes to back Turco in and then slipped the puck inside the right post. Kesler scored on a quick wrist shot to the glove side. Turco and the Stars fell to 0-3 in shootouts this season.

"I thought it was a good point," said Stars coach Marc Crawford, who made his return to Vancouver, where he coached for seven seasons. "We had a lot of good chances in the third period, we had a couple more in overtime. But they're a good club and they work hard.

"It is a good point for us. We've got to get the shootout figured out. We've given away three points there this year. Our guys have got to be way more serious about that part of the game. Those are points that we'd like to have, for sure."

Both power plays clicked in the first period as the teams came away 1-1 after 20 minutes.

Ribeiro struck first for the Stars at the 6:09 mark. Setting up in the right circle, he sent a shot toward the net that deflected off the stick of the Canucks' Rick Rypien and sailed past Luongo.

Dallas got another man advantage moments later, but Vancouver had the best scoring chance. Mikael Samuelsson set up Henrik Sedin off a 2-on-1 break, but Turco got across the net going from left to right and denied Sedin of a shorthanded goal with a great pad save.

Kesler tied the score during the final seconds of a Canucks power play. His drive from the top of the right circle eluded Turco with 5:15 left in the first.

Burrows then put Vancouver in front on another power play with 3:14 remaining in the second. Sedin worked the puck along the right-wing boards and sent a cross-ice pass to Mikael Samuelsson. The veteran forward, who also drew the primary assist on Kesler's goal, sent a quick pass in front to Burrows and he whipped the puck past Turco.

Henrik earned his 467th career point with the assist, one more than Daniel for their careers.

Luongo secured the lead when he stopped Loui Eriksson on a breakaway during a Stars power play late in the second.

Richards evened things up again just 1:55 earlier when he grabbed a loose puck and, with Luongo out of position, faked going around the net before sweeping the puck back inside the right post.

Mitchell snuck down low and converted a feed from Sedin at 6:53 to put the Canucks ahead 3-2, but their hopes for a regulation win ended with Benn's late score.

"It could have been better. It could have been a lot worse, too," Burrows said. "That last goal we'd like back. It's never good to give up a goal that late, especially off the rush. But at same time we found a way to get it done. It wasn't pretty but we got the two points and that's most important."

-- Brian Hunter, Staff Writer

Material from wire services and team broadcast media was used in this report.

View More

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.