Skip to Main Content

Blues edge Bruins 2-1 in shootout @NHLdotcom

Jaroslav Halak's shutout streak is over. Thanks to the goal posts, however, his winning streak is alive and well.

Halak allowed a game-tying third-period goal to Gregory Campbell, ending his personal shutout streak at 150:03, but saw the Bruins clank two shots off the post in the shootout as the St. Louis Blues beat the Bruins 2-1 on Saturday night.

T.J. Oshie and Brad Boyes beat Tuukka Rask in the shootout. Tyler Seguin scored on Boston's second shot, but Patrice Bergeron and Michael Ryder rang the post on their attempts.

The Bruins also rattled a couple of posts in regulation and went 0-for-2 on video reviews -- both times, the replay showed the puck had not entered the net

"Usually that's a good thing for a goaltender, when it hits a post," Halak said with a smile. "Four posts tonight."

Ex-Bruins center Vladimir Sobotka scored after a giveaway by Boston defenseman Dennis Seidenberg late in the first period. It stayed that way until Campbell scored on a blast from the slot at the 13-minute mark of the third period to spoil Halak's hopes for a fourth shutout in five games.

"He was solid again," Blues coach Davis Payne said. "He makes a lot of key saves for us when we make mistakes. That's why he is the goaltender he is."

There wasn't much for Bruins coach Claude Julien to complain about, except the result

"Our guys were hitting a lot of posts, and it ended up going in the wrong direction," Julien said. "I thought our guys were a little snake bit: two reviews. Even in the overtime we scored a goal, and the other two hit posts."

Halak and the Blues have won six straight games -- their longest winning streak since 2003. They have just one loss in regulation all season, and their four overtime games are the most in the NHL.

In the shootout, Bergeron put his shot off the left post, and Oshie went under Rask's pads to make it 1-0. Seguin faked right and went left for a backhand that tied it, then Boyes scored to put the Blues back in the lead. When Ryder's shot appeared to deflect off Halak's glove and then the post, the Blues had clinched the win.

The Bruins have lost back-to-back games for the first time, losing to Washington 5-3 on Friday night after Rask came in to replace starter Tim Thomas in the third period, trailing 3-0. That leaves Rask with all four of Boston's losses this season, even though he matched Halak in regulation, stopping 34 shots in his best performance of the season.

"An unlucky start for him thus far," Bruins forward Milan Lucic said. "But he was great tonight and kept us in the game."

The Bruins saw the red light go on twice, but both goals were negated.

In the first period, Nathan Horton did a spin move from the right circle and sent the puck off the far post. It bounced behind Halak, who reached back and covered it with his glove as the light went on; the referee immediately signaled no goal and the call was upheld.

In the second, Horton again lost the goal on review. He got around defenseman Eric Brewer, who hooked Horton down as he put the puck off the crossbar on Halak's glove side. The puck bounced onto the goal line and trickled around -- but replay again showed that it didn't go into the net.

The Bruins dominated play in the third period and finally tied it when Ryder carried the puck down the left side and centered to Campbell, who one-timed a shot as he dropped to his knee.

"It was a hard-earned point," Julien said. "It's tough playing two games in two nights.

"I can't complain about the team's effort. I thought we got better as the game went on. We really took it to them in the third period."

Material from wire services and team media was used in this report

View More

The NHL has updated its Privacy Policy effective January 16, 2020. We encourage you to review it carefully.

The NHL uses cookies, web beacons, and other similar technologies. By using NHL websites or other online services, you consent to the practices described in our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy.