Home Team in Caps
NY RANGERS 4, Toronto 3
CHICAGO 4, Calgary 1
ZUCCARELLO LEADS RANGERS TO NINTH STRAIGHT WIN, TOP OF NHL STANDINGS
After seeing 2-1 and 3-2 leads erased, Mats Zuccarello (1-2—3) scored with 53.8 seconds left in the game to lift the New York Rangers past the Toronto Maple Leafs, extending their winning streak to nine games and their point streak to 13 (11-0-2).
* Topping the League’s overall standings at 14-2-2 (30 points), the Rangers are off to their best 18-game start – in terms of wins and points – in their 89-year history.
* Per the Elias Sports Bureau, the Rangers have won nine or more consecutive games for the first time since winning 10 straight from Jan. 19-Feb. 10, 1973.
* The Rangers have also won eight straight home games. Per Elias, the Rangers won eight consecutive games at Madison Square Garden for the first time since Oct. 8-31, 1990.
* Zuccarello, who had two assists, has 8-3—11 in nine career games vs. TOR,including 7-3—10 in his last four. Ryan McDonagh (1-1—2) also had a multipoint game and has 3-1—4 in his past four games.
* Antti Raanta made 23 saves to improve to 4-0-0 in his first four starts with the Rangers (1.25 GAA, .955 SV%, 1 SO). Per Elias, Raanta became the first goaltender in Rangers history to earn a win in each of his first four starts with them; he is the first to win each of his first four appearances with the team since Glenn Healy did so from Oct. 7-15, 1993.
* Overall, Raanta, who was acquired from the Blackhawks during the offseason, is 17-0-3 in 22 career home appearances (1.56 GAA, .942 SV%, 4 SO). That includes a 14-0-3 record in 19 games with the Chicago Blackhawks at United Center (1.59 GAA, .942 SV%, 3 SO).
* The Rangers are 5-1-1 in their past seven home games vs. TOR dating to Jan. 26, 2013 (TOR: 2-3-2).
BLACKHAWKS CONTINUE HOME DOMINANCE OF FLAMES, KANE EXTENDS POINT STREAK TO 13 GAMES
Down 1-0 in the second period, the Blackhawks scored four unanswered goals to improve to 12-0-2 in their past 14 regular-season home games vs. CGY dating to Nov. 9, 2008 (CGY: 2-11-1).
* Patrick Kane (1-1—2) extended his point streak to 13 games (10-12—22) and his career-high goal streak to seven games.
* Kane’s point streak is the longest in the NHL this season and one shy of his career high, set Nov. 30-Dec. 28, 2013 (8-17—25 in 14 GP). He has six multipoint performances during the 13-game run. His goal streak also is the longest in the NHL this season. With at least one point in 16 of his first 18 games, Kane (13-15—28) leads the NHL in goals and points.
* Per Elias, Kane is the first Blackhawks player to score in seven or more consecutive games since Joe Murphy scored in nine straight from March 3-April 2, 1995.
* Marian Hossa (1-1—2) also had a multipoint game, including the game-winning goal at 7:40 of the second period. With 77 career game-winning goals, Hossa ranks sixth among active players.
* Artemi Panarin (1-0—1) extended his point streak to five games (4-3—7). Panarin leads all rookies in points with 6-12—18 in his first 18 games.
* Scott Darling turned aside all but one of 26 shots he faced to improve to 2-2-0 this season (2.65 GAA, .902 SV%).
Rangers forward Derick Brassard (1-0—1) has 2-6—8 in his past five games vs. TOR... Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi (0-1—1) has 1-4—5 in his past five games after he had 1-2—3 in his first 13 games of the season... Maple Leafs rookie Byron Froese (0-2—2) had his first multipoint game of the season... Maple Leafs defenseman Dion Phaneuf (1-1—2) also had a multipoint game... Maple Leafs forward Tyler Bozak (0-1—1) has 1-3—4 in his past four games after he had 1-4—5 in his first 10 games of the season... ICYMI: Each of the two arenas hosting an NHL game on Sunday night – Madison Square Garden and United Center – honored victims of the Paris tragedy prior to puck-drop with a pregame moment of silence. Madison Square Garden also played “La Marseillaise,” the French national anthem.