- Wear your favorite Lightning jersey and share your photo on the Lightning Facebook page
- Use hashtags #TBLightning and #HWAA on Twitter
- 'Try Hockey For Free' clinics across the country - click here to find a clinic in your area
- Free on-ice youth clinic at Tampa Bay Skating Academy - click here to register
- NBC Sports presents its Hockey Day in America coverage including a feature on the Lightning Sled Hockey Program
- Share your local hero stories on the Lightning Facebook page in honor of Celebrate Local Heroes Day
- Use hashtags #HockeyMeans for a chance to be featured on both the Official Lightning and NHL Twitter accounts
The Tampa Bay Lightning, in conjunction with USA Hockey, is set to kick off the fifth annual ‘Hockey Weekend Across America,’ a nationwide initiative presented by Reebok to celebrate the sport of hockey at all levels and expose the game to new audiences across the United States. The three-day celebration will begin on Friday, February 17 and conclude on Sunday, February 19, with each day taking on a distinct theme including Wear Your Favorite Hockey Jersey
, Try Hockey Day
, and Celebrate Local Hockey Heroes
To kick off all the action, Lightning fans are encouraged to visit the team's official Facebook page on Friday to submit photos of themselves donning their favorite Lightning jersey, while also participating on Twitter by using the hashtags #TBLightning and #HWAA. The fun then continues on Saturday, when more than 200 rinks across the nation will host 'Try Hockey For Free' clinics, exposing more than 4,000 young kids to the sport for the very first time.
Finally, on Sunday, the Lightning's Facebook page and official Twitter feed will highlight this season's Community Heroes and ask fans to share stories about their own heroes in honor of Celebrate Local Heroes Day. Fans can also tweet about their passion for hockey using the hashtag #HockeyMeans for the chance to be featured on both the @TBLightning and @NHL Twitter accounts.
Included in this year's festivities, Tampa Bay Skating Academy, located at 255 Forest Lake Blvd. in Oldsmar, will host a free on-ice clinic for boys and girls ages four and up on Sunday with instruction facilitated by two-time Lightning All-Star Brian Bradley. Knowledge of basic skills are required and equipment will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis. As an added incentive to attend the clinic, fans can do their part to help TBSA receive 40 new sets of OneGoal hockey equipment to help grow the game in the Bay Area by becoming a USA Hockey member. To sign up for the clinic, visit www.tbsa.com by February 16.
Finally, for the second straight year, NBC will present its Hockey Day in America coverage throughout the afternoon on Sunday beginning at noon, when Bolts fans can tune in to see the Lightning Sled Hockey program featured during the nationally televised broadcast.