Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News

Voynov nets the overtime winner 17 seconds after a goal was waived off

by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
BRIDGEPORT, CT – Only 17 seconds after the officials waived off a goal, defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov scored at the 32-second mark of overtime to give the Manchester Monarchs a 4-3 overtime win over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers in their rescheduled game at the Webster Bank Arena at Harbor Yard on Sunday night.  The original game on Saturday, October 30 was postponed due to a visit by President Barack Obama.

Manchester (25-14-1-1) earned their 25th win of the season and leads the Atlantic Division with 52 points.  Bridgeport (18-17-3-2) dropped their third overtime loss of the season and sit in fifth place in the Atlantic Division with 41 points.

“It felt like we were in control a majority of the game but they wouldn’t go away,” explained Monarchs Head Coach Mark Morris.  “We thought we had won it early in overtime but a high stick was called on the play.  It was the right call.  The next rush up the ice, we were able to execute a nice play 4-on-4 and Slava (Voynov) was able to get the puck into the net for the win.

“It’s been a bit of a frustrating time for us so it’s nice to get back in the win column.”

Only 17 seconds after the Monarchs had a goal waived off in overtime, Voynov made sure his next shot crossed the line with no questions asked.  Left wing Dwight King carried the puck into the Sound Tigers zone and dropped a pass back to center Justin Azevedo in the right face-off circle.  Azevedo blasted a one-timer that goaltender Mikko Koskinen made the pad save on.  The puck popped free into the high slot for a slap shot by Voynov that found the back of the net for the win 32 seconds into overtime.

Left wing Bud Holloway began the scoring at 7:40 of the first period with his team leading 13th goal of the season.  Center Marc-Andre Cliche stopped the puck along the right wing half wall and tossed a shot toward the net.  Holloway attempted to tip the puck passed Koskinen but the netminder made the pad save.  Holloway grabbed the rebound and flipped a backhand shot into the open net.

The Monarchs doubled their lead to 2-0 at 9:33 of the opening frame with left wing Richard Clune’s fifth tally of the season.  Defenseman David Kolomatis held the puck in the Sound Tigers zone along the left wing.  Kolomatis sent a pass along the boards and behind the net to Clune who grabbed the pass and stuffed it into the net at the right post.

Left wing Brandon Svendsen cut the Monarchs lead in half with his sixth goal of the season at 7:15 of the second period.  Center Rob Hisey skated into the Monarchs zone along the left wing and sent the puck over to defenseman Ty Wishart in the right face-off circle.  Wishart fired a slap shot on net that Monarchs goaltender Martin Jones got a piece of but Svendsen was on the left doorstep to jam in the rebound.

At 13:34 of the middle stanza, the Monarchs regained their two goal lead with Voynov’s seventh goal of the season.  Defenseman Andrew Campbell won a battle behind the Monarchs cage and fed the puck to center Jordan Nolan along the left wing.  Nolan carried the puck out of the zone, through neutral ice and into Bridgeport’s territory.  Nolan fed a pass to Voynov who skated into the zone from the center point.  In the high slot, Voynov snapped a shot that beat Koskinen on his blocker side to give the Monarchs a 3-1 advantage.

Bridgeport battled back in the third period with left wing Justin DiBenedetto’s fourth goal of the season at 6:28.  The puck was bouncing between bodies in the left face-off circle as right wing Olivier Labelle tapped it over to DiBenedetto who kicked the pass forward before snapping a wrist shot into the back of the net.  Center Tony Romano also assisted on the goal.

Labelle tied the game at 3-3 at 11:01 of the final frame with his third tally of the season.  Center David Ullstrom wristed a shot from the right face-off circle that Jones stopped but Labelle was in the slot to sneak the rebound over the goal line.  Defenseman Mark Katic assisted on the tying goal.

At the 15-second mark of the overtime frame, the officials waived off a goal by the Monarchs stating that a slap shot by Voynov was redirected by center Oscar Moller with a stick that was above his shoulders.

Jones (14-3-0) picked up his 14th win and his second overtime win of the season with 28 saves on 31 shots.  Koskinen (5-13-0) stopped 24-of-28 shot in his 13th loss of the season.

Manchester went 0-for-1 on the power play.  Bridgeport was 0-for-3 with the man advantage.

Notables:  Manchester won their second overtime game extending their overtime record to 2-1 this season…Defenseman Viatcheslav Voynov’s overtime goal was one second shy of tying the fastest overtime goal in team history…Defenseman David Kolomatis scored 31 seconds into overtime against Portland on December 26, 2009 for a 2-1 overtime win; Voynov’s goal tonight came at 32 seconds…Left wing Bud Holloway collected his team leading 13th goal of the season.
View More