Skip to main content
The Official Site of the LA Kings

Kings News


by Staff Writer / Los Angeles Kings
PHILADELPHIA, PA – The Manchester Monarchs fought back from a two goal deficit to beat the Philadelphia Phantoms 5-4 in a shootout at the Wachovia Spectrum in front of 7,226 fans on Sunday night.

Manchester (33-16-2-4, 72 points) is in second place in the Atlantic Division. Philadelphia (20-27-1-7, 48 points) is in sixth place in the East Division.

Monarchs right wing Brad Smyth started the scoring at 1:51 of the first period by tipping in a power play goal for his 26th goal of the season. Defenseman Mark Ardelan sent a blast from the left face-off circle that Smyth deflected past Phantoms goaltender Jamie Storr. Defenseman Denis Grebeshkov also assisted on the first goal of the game.

The Phantoms answered back at 2:14 as right wing Jim Campell tipped in a blast by left wing Tony Voce from the point into the net behind Monarchs goaltender Adam Hauser. Defenseman Wade Skolney assisted on the goal that brought the game to 1-1.

Campell collected his second of the night at 6:52 of the opening frame as he poked in the rebound from Voce's shot. This time defenseman Charlie Cook was credited with the assist.

Right wing Lauri Tukonen evened the game at two goals apiece with his ninth goal of the season at 9:28 of the first period. Smyth sent the puck over to Tukonen positioned to the right of Storr. On the doorstep, Tukenon lifted the puck over Storr for the Monarchs second power play goal of the game. Defenseman Joey Mormina was credited with an assist on the goal.

The next two goals came off the sticks of defenseman David Printz and Voce, both on the power play, to give the Phantoms a 4-2 lead. Printz scored from the right point after collecting the puck from center Matt Ellison at 11:41 of the opening stanza. Right wing Stefan Ruzicka won the face-off deep in the Monarchs zone to start off the play.

Voce collected a goal of his own at 19:39 of the first period with beautiful passing from Campbell and defenseman Alexandre Picard. Picard started the play at the right point by passing the puck over to Campbell at the left face-off circle. Campbell sent the puck to Voce down low at the right of the net. Voce finished off the passing by lifting the puck over Hauser for his 16th goal of the season.

Monarchs left wing Jeff Tambellini brought the Monarchs to within one goal as he redirected defenseman Richard Seeley's bomb from the left point past Storr for his 23rd goal of the season. Right wing Konstantin Pushkarev earned an assist on the goal at 8:26 of the second period.

Defenseman Richard Petiot jammed the puck past Storr at 19:16 of the middle frame to tie the game at 4-4. There was a scramble in front of the net with at least three Monarchs players hacking away at the puck. Petiot eventually slipped the puck over the goal line for his fourth goal of the season. Defenseman Marty Wilford and Tukonen assisted on the tying goal.

After a scoreless third period and overtime, the game was pushed to a shootout. Hauser stopped all but one of the Phantoms shooters as Voce flipped a backhand shot over Hauser's glove. The Monarchs collected shootout goals from left wing Noah Clarke, center Connor James and Tukonen for Monarchs first win at the Wachovia Spectrum in franchise history.

Hauser (17-9-2) stopped 26 shots for his 17th win of the season. Storr (10-9-5) took his ninth loss with 25 saves.

Manchester went 2-for-12 on the power play. Philadelphia was 2-for-10 with the man advantage.
View More