For the fourth time in six years, the Kings will saddle up with the San Jose Sharks for a grueling seven-game playoff series. The familiarity these two clubs have with each other just might match their ill will.
Disappointment? Both teams are coming off of it, neither club qualifying for the playoffs in 2015.
Disappointment? To Sharks fans, the Kings epitomize the wrath of San Jose’s playoff failures. The Kings put an end to San Jose’s seasons in 2013 and 2014, the latter almost unforgettable.
The past is the past, and another playoff chapter is to be laid out between these two clubs beginning Thursday night at STAPLES Center.
The Kings record a 2-3-0 record in their season series with San Jose, where they were outscored 18-13 overall and 8-3 in the third period. The road team controlled the win column until the teams’ fifth and final meeting when San Jose was able to register a win on home-ice.
October 7, 2015 – at STAPLES Center
Sharks 5, Kings 1
- Nick Shore scores on the Kings’ first shot of the game, season.
- San Jose goes 2/8 on power play, scores five unanswered goals.
- Martin Jones stops 19/20 in first game with SJS.
Nick Shore tips home Kings' lone goal on October 7th.
October 22, 2015 – SAP Center
Kings 4, Sharks 1
Toffoli dances to beat Martin Jones.
December 22, 2015 – STAPLES Center
Sharks 5, Kings 3
- Kings build early lead w/ two goals from Tyler Toffoli.
- Joe Pavelski scores two PPG in a 1:32 span in the third period.
- San Jose scores four unanswered to overcome Kings’ 3-1 lead.
Toffoli gives Kings an early two-goal lead.
January 24, 2016 – SAP Center
Kings 3, Sharks 2 (OT)
- Kings hold SJS PP scoreless (0-4)
- Vincent Lecavalier ties game 2-2 with :12.2 seconds left to play.
- Marian Gaborik scores game-winner with :54 seconds left in OT.
Gaborik nets OT-winner.
March 28, 2016 – SAP Center
Sharks 5, Kings 2
- Vincent Lecavalier scores two goals in first two periods.
- Jonathan Quick makes save of the season on Logan Couture.
- Sharks score three goals in the third period.
- Home team wins for first time all season.
Lecavalier opens the scoring in the teams' final meeting.
BY THE NUMBERS:
LAK points leaders vs SJS
Tyler Toffoli (3G, 2A) – 5
Jeff Carter (2G, 3A) - 5
Five Players – 3
SJS points leaders vs LAK
Joe Pavelski (4G, 6A) – 10
Joe Thornton (3G, 5A) – 8
Brent Burns (4G, 3A) – 7
LAK goaltending vs SJS
Jonathan Quick: 0-3-0, .845 SV%, 4.40 GAA
Jhonas Enroth: 2-0-0, .958 SV%, 1.46 GAA
SJS goaltending vs LAK
Martin Jones: 3-1-1, .913 SV%, 2.57 GAA
LAK PP vs SJS
SJS PP vs LAK
2011 Western Conference Quarterfinal: SJS 4-2
2013 Western Conference Semifinals: LAK 4-3
2014 Western Conference Quarterfinal: LAK 4-3
Game 1: Thursday, 4/14 at STAPLES Center - 7:30 p.m.
Game 2: Saturday, 4/16 at STAPLES Center - 7:30 p.m.
Game 3: Monday, 4/18 at SAP Center - 7:30 p.m.
Game 4: Wednesday, 4/20 at SAP Center - 7:30 p.m.
Game 5: Friday, 4/22 at STAPLES Center – TBD
Game 6: Sunday, 4/24 at San Jose – TBD
Game 7: Tuesday, 4/26 at STAPLES Center – TBD