LOS ANGELES –
The Los Angeles Kings will honor former standout Bernie Nicholls tonight as part of this year’s first Kings Legends Night Series presented by McDonald’s. As part of the evening, Nicholls will be featured in a special pre-game ceremony before the Kings-Dallas Stars contest at STAPLES Center.
Also, as part of the evening, the Kings will wear their Vintage Jerseys for the first time this season.
Nicholls, a high-scoring and popular forward with the Kings from 1981-90, was selected by the Kings in the fourth-round of the 1980 NHL Entry Draft and went on to score 475 goals in the NHL. With the Kings, Nicholls scored a career-high 70 goals during the 1988-89 season.
That 70-goal season represents a mark which still stands as a Kings season-high. He also led the Kings in overall scoring on two occasions. Nicholls also created his fan-favorite, famous Pumper-Nicholl goal celebration after each tally.
Nicholls’ statistical achievements with the Kings
• Fifth in all-time scoring with 758 pts (327-431=758)
• 10th in all-time games played (602)
• Fourth in all-time goals (327)
• Fifth in all-time assists (431)
• Fourth in all-time power-play goals (100)
• First in all-time short-handed goals (25)
• 10th in all-time game-winning goals
• Holds Kings record with 70 goals scored in 1988-89
• Scored 150 points in 1988-89, third most in club history
• Scored a team record eight short-handed goals in 1988-89
• Had a 25-game point streak from Oct. 16 to Dec. 10, 1984 (tied for longest in club history)
• Represented the Kings in the NHL All-Star game in 1984, 1989 and 1990
This year’s Legends Series also features Daryl Evans on January 2 and on February 18 when the Kings honor Charlie Simmer. Last year the Kings recognized, Rogie Vachon, Bob Berry and Bob Pulford.
For Kings ticket information, call 1-888-KINGS-LA and visit LAKings.com. The pre-game ceremony will also air live on FS West as will the game, which begins at 7:30 p.m.