The Islanders welcome the Buffalo Sabres to the Coliseum on Wednesday night for the second and final time this season. The teams have met twice in Buffalo and once on Long Island, with the Islanders holding a 2-1-0 series advantage heading into Wednesday’s game. The Orange and Blue will look to win their first season series with the Sabres since 2003-04. Below is an all-time breakdown, including a recap of the first three games between the two organizations:ALL-TIME SERIES, NYI-BUFAll-Time:
1-2-10 Last Win:
10/6/07, Islanders 3 vs. Sabres 2 Last Loss
: 12/12/07, Islanders 3 at Sabres 5 2006-07:
Islanders went 1-3-02007-08:
Islanders are 2-1-0 2007-08 Season Series: October 5, 2007
- Islanders 6 at Buffalo Sabres 4 October 6, 2007
- Islanders 3 vs. Buffalo Sabres 2December 12, 2007
- Islanders 3 at Buffalo Sabres 5 December 19, 2007
- Islanders vs. Buffalo Sabres, 7:00 p.m. *All times EST2007-08 GAME RECAPS, NYI-BUFOctober 5, 2007
– Islanders 6 at Buffalo Sabres 4
The Islanders opened their 2007-08 season with a bang, scoring an NYI opening night record six goals to defeat the Sabres in Buffalo at HSBC Arena. It was a great team effort for the Islanders as Mike Comrie, Bill Guerin and Ruslan Fedotenko made impressive debuts. Comrie had two goals and two assists, Fedotenko notched a goal and two assists and Guerin contributed three assists in the win.
The Islanders also received goals from Josef Vasicek, Trent Hunter and Chris Campoli to go along with two assists from Bruno Gervais.
With both teams scoring three goals in a wild first period, it was the Islanders special teams that made the difference in the contest. The Orange and Blue went 3-for-4 on the man-advantage and stopped all three Buffalo power play chances.
The Islanders outshot the Sabres 34-26 and Rick DiPietro
did just enough in net to keep the Sabres in check. DiPietro finished with 22 saves in the victory.October 6, 2007
– Buffalo Sabres 2 at Islanders 3
In front of a sellout crowd of 16,234 at the Coliseum for the home opener, the Islanders were able to defeat the Sabres for the second consecutive night. Mike Comrie continued his torrid start to the season, netting two goals for the second consecutive night, including the game-winner.
After falling behind 1-0 in the first period, the Orange and Blue kept their composure and it paid off as Chris Campoli found the back of the net for the second straight night to tie the game at 1-1 just 4:29 into the second period.
It didn’t take long for Comrie to strike once the third period began. With the score still tied at 1-1, Comrie needed just 1:39 to score his third goal of the season and give the Islanders the lead. The game would be put away when Comrie scored yet again with 8:29 remaining in the game to build a two-goal lead.
The Islanders went 0-for-3 on the power play, but were able to hold the Sabres to just 1-for-7 on their man-advantage. Rick DiPietro
stopped 30-of-32 shots to earn his second victory in as many days. December 12, 2007
– Islanders 3 at Buffalo Sabres 5
The Sabres got some revenge after dropping the first two games of the season to the Islanders. Buffalo jumped out to a 4-1 lead on goals by Nolan Pratt, Toni Lydman, Ales Kotalik and Derek Roy. The Islanders made a comeback attempt, closing the gap to 4-3 on a Richard Park goal with 3:15 to play in the second period and a Mike Sillinger score with 16:00 left in the game.
The score became 5-3 when Jochen Hecht snuck a backhand past Rick DiPietro
at 8:14 of the third period and the Islanders could not muster anything from that point forward.
Ryan Miller made 38 saves for his 12th win of the season for the Sabres. Rick DiPietro
made 26 saves in the losing effort.NYI-BUF, 2007-08 FACTS AND FIGURES
- The Islanders are looking to take the season series from the Sabres for the first time since a four-game sweep in 2003-04.
- The six goals scored by the Orange and Blue in Buffalo on October 5th were an opening night record for the team and is the most the Islanders have scored in a game this season.
- Mike Comrie has four goals and two assists for six points in three games this year against Buffalo. Comrie leads the Islanders with 25 points on the season.
- Islanders captain Bill Guerin has recorded 37 points (17 goals, 20 assists) in 40 career games against the Sabres.
- The Islanders and Sabres have not been involved in an overtime game since November 23, 2005 when the Sabres won 4-3 in the extra period.
Check out Islanders TV all season long.