Skip to main content
The Official Site of the New York Islanders

Sound Tigers Eliminated By Pens

by Staff Writer / New York Islanders

The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Friday night, 4-2, ending the season for the Islanders' AHL affiliate. The Sound Tigers, who set a franchise record with 106 points during the regular season, were eliminated from the Calder Cup Playoffs by the Baby Pens, 4-games-to-1.

Justin DiBenedetto and Jesse Joensuu scored goals for the Sound Tigers, but it was not enough. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton scored one goal in the first, two in the second and one in the third to ice the victory.

Peter Mannino made14 saves in the loss.


The Sound Tigers hosted Game 4 on Wednesday night with the opportunity to even the series.  But Chris Minard and Jeff Taffe each scored for the Penguins in a 2-1 victory over the Sound Tigers. Ben Walter was credited with the lone goal for the Sound Tigers, coming on the power-play in the third period. Peter Mannino was in goal for the second straight game and stopped 19 of the 21 shots he faced.  


Bridgeport got off to an early 1-0 lead in Game 3 after a goal from Jon Sim. However, the Sound Tigers got into penalty trouble in the second period, allowing the Baby Pens to score four straight goals in the middle frame.
Staring a 3-0 series deficit in the face, the Sound Tigers rallied back after trailing 4-1 late in the second period in Game 3 off goals from Sim, Andrew MacDonald and Joe Callahan to send the game into overtime.
Then, in the extra period, Sean Bentivoglio scored at the 9:48 mark for his first goal of the playoffs. The play started when Jack Hillen snapped a cross-ice pass to Bentivoglio streaking through the neutral zone. The speedy winger used a Wilkes-Barre/Scranton defenseman as a screen and wristed a shot over the left shoulder of Penguins’ goaltender John Curry for the 5-4 overtime win.
Peter Mannino made 32 saves in net for Bridgeport to earn his first playoff victory.


The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins won Game 2 in overtime by a score of 5-4 on Saturday night at Nassau Coliseum.

Chris Minard was in the right place at the right time, catching a rebound off the end boards and putting it past Bridgeport goaltender Nathan Lawson.


Wilkes-Barre/Scranton took the series opener by defeating the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2, on Friday night.

Bridgeport got into penalty trouble early and couldn't come out of it as the Baby Pens scored three unanswered goals to start the game. The Sound Tigers tried to overcome the 3-0 deficit in the second period, with two late goals in the third period by Rob Hennigar and Trevor Smith.

But the Pens held them at bay in the third period.

CLICK HERE to read a recap of the live blog from Games 1, 2 and 4.
View More