Skip to main content
The Official Site of the New York Islanders

Mississauga defeats Owen Sound 6-2

by Staff Writer / New York Islanders
The Mississauga St. Michael's Majors were in Owen Sound this evening as they continued the Rogers OHL Championship Series in game two against the Attack.  Special teams were the story of tonight's game, as the two teams combined for 58 minutes in penalties.  The Majors capitalized with four powerplay goals, taking home a 6-2 victory and a 2-0 series lead.

The first period started with Owen Sound giving the Majors the man advantage early when Matt Petgrave took a slashing penalty at 1:06.  It didn't take the Majors long to capitalize as shortly after the penalty began, Justin Shugg got the puck down low and skated out in front of the Owen Sound net.  Shugg's unassisted goal came at 1:26 and made it 1-0 Majors.  It was Shugg's sixth goal of the post season.

Islanders prospect Casey Cizikas skates for Mississauga St. Michael's Majors in Game 2 of their series with Owen Sound on Thursday, May 5, 2011.
Both teams continued to make use of special teams in the first period and the Majors continued to capitalize on their powerplay opportunities early on.  After a scrum at 6:13, and the first fight of the game occurred involving Rob Flick and Andrew Shaw, five penalties were handed out on the play that resulted in another Majors powerplay, this time a two man advantage.

Flick and Shaw got five each for fighting but Shaw was also handed the instigator penalty.  Meanwhile, Jay Gilbert was assessed a roughing penalty, giving the Majors a five on three opportunity.

At 7:96, the Majors took advantage when Brett Flemming found Jordan Mayer out in front of the Attack net.  Mayer went five hole to extend the Majors lead to 2-0.

The Attack mounted a comeback soon after.  At 9:21, Robby Mignardi was sprung on the breakaway and made no mistake, beating JP Anderson and cutting the Majors lead to 2-1.

Seconds later, Maxim Kitsyn took a slashing penalty and the trend of powerplay goals continued.  Jesse Blacker converted at 9:45 to knot the game at two apeice, with Joey Hishon getting the assist on the game tieing goal.

The teams traded some good scoring chances in the second half of the period but no one could break the tie and the teams went to the intermission tied 2-2.  Three of the four goals scored in the first period were powerplay goals as a total of 30 minutes of penalties were assessed.  Shots on goal at the end of the first were 17-10 in favour of the Majors.

The Majors wasted no time taking the lead in the second period.  Less then a minute in, Devante Smith-Pelly put a shot on net, and while the initial shot did not beat Attack netminder Scott Stajcer, the rebound did.  Shugg was waiting in front of an open net and fired home the rebound to give the Majors a 3-2 lead on his second goal of the night.

It was special teams once again that led to the Majors fourth goal.  After Joey Hishon took a slashing penalty Flick put a shot on net from in close.  The rebound bounced around a bit before Mayer got a stick on it and buried his second of the night to expand the Majors lead to 4-2 on yet another powerplay goal.  Brett Flemming had the second assist.

In the back half of the second period the two teams traded powerplay opportunities but no one could convert.  Marc Cantin and Andrew Shaw took roughing penalties at 19:52 as the period was winding down, meaning the two teams would finish the second and begin the third with some four on four hockey.  Shots on goal in the second frame were 11-8 in favour of Mississauga.

Penalties continued to be a key storyline in the third period and while neither team could convert on their opportunities early in the third, the Majors eventually broke through with their fourth powerplay goal of the night to make it 5-2.

While Shugg and Mayer combined for the teams first four goals of the night with two apeice, it was Captain Casey Cizikas who scored the final goal that wound up securing the victory for the Majors.  Cizikas' goal came at 9:41 and was assisted by Stuart Percy, the goal was Cizikas' fifth of the playoffs.

The Majors added one more goal late when Chris DeSousa scored an empty netter to close out the game, and make it a 6-2 Majors victory.  Shots on goal in the third period were 11-9 in favour of the Majors.

JP Anderson made 25 saves on 27 shots in the victory for Mississauga.  Scott Stacjer made 33 saves on 38 shots in the loss for Owen Sound.  The games three stars were Mignardi (3rd), Mayer (2nd) and Shugg (1st).

This story camecourtesty of
View More