|New York Islanders
17-22-7 (41 points – 8th in Metropolitan Division, 15th in Eastern Conference)
|Dallas Stars |
20-17-7 (47 points - 5th in Central Division, 10th in Western Conference)
|6:00 p.m. |
American Airlines Center
Television: MSG PLUS
Play-by-play: Chris King; Color: Butch Goring
Radio: WHRU 88.7 FM, WRCN 103.9 FM
Play-by-play: Greg Picker; Color: Rob Joyce
|2013-14 season series (1-0-0) |
John Tavares scored a hat trick and added two helpers as the Islanders beat the Dallas Stars 7-3 at Nassau Coliseum. The Islanders stormed back from an early 2-0 deficit, scoring four-second period goals en route to their largest offensive output this season. Ryan Strome scored his first career NHL goal, while Calvin de Haan picked up his first two NHL points. Peter Regin, Brock Nelson and Brian Strait rounded out the scoring for the Islanders.
Jan. 6, 2014: NYI 7, DAL 3 - RECAP, BOX SCORE, HIGHLIGHTS
|Stars player to watch |
Jamie Benn - Forward
Stars captain Jamie Benn is having a fantastic year playing alongside Tyler Seguin. Benn has 15 goals, 22 assists and 37 points in 44 games this season and is in the top-30 of league scoring. Benn’s strong play over the past three seasons earned him a spot on the Canadian Olympic men’s hockey roster, one of the hardest teams in hockey to make. Benn had a six-point night (1g/5a) in November and scored one goal against the Islanders in their last meeting.
|Islanders Storylines |
• Road Streak: The Islanders have won six consecutive games away from Nassau Coliseum.
• Six of Seven: The Islanders have won six of their last seven games and are currently riding a season-high three-game winning streak.
• Seeing Stars: The Islanders and Stars meet for the second time in a week. After a 7-3 loss on Monday, the Stars definitely have this game circled on the calendar.
• Secondary Scoring: Brock Nelson and Michael Grabner provided the offense in Friday’s win. Both players have two goals in their last three games.
• Power Play: The Islanders power play is red hot, and has converted nine of their last 20 opportunities (45%).
|The Matchup |
|New York Islanders previous game lines |
26 Thomas Vanek - 91 John Tavares - 21 Kyle Okposo
29 Brock Nelson - 51 Frans Nielsen - 12 Josh Bailey
40 Michael Grabner - 18 Ryan Strome - 15 Cal Clutterbuck
17 Matt Martin - 53 Casey Cizikas - 13 Colin McDonald
47 Andrew MacDonald - 37 Brian Strait
44 Calvin de Haan - 3 Travis Hamonic
46 Matt Donovan - 14 Thomas Hickey
60 Kevin Poulin
45 Anders Nilsson
|Dallas Stars previous game lines |
14 Jamie Benn - 91 Tyler Seguin - 72 Erik Cole
21 Antoine Roussel - 20 Cody Eakin - 16 Ryan Garbutt
43 Valeri Nichushkin- 10 Shawn Horcoff - 12 Alex Chiasson
13 Ray Whitney - 38 Vernon Fiddler - 17 Rich Peverley
33 Alex Goligoski - 6 Trevor Daley
24 Jordie Benn - 4 Brenden Dillon
27 Aaron Rome - 23 Kevin Connauton
32 Kari Lehtonen
30 Dan Ellis
| ||Quote of the Day: |
Thomas Hickey on Friday's win:
This was healthy for us to win one, when we don’t score five goals. We had to use the extra time, but we got it done.