FSN (Howie & Flats); Bloomberg 1130
Don't expect another version of The Goal, but there is a good chance Robert Nilsson may play tonight for the Islanders. The 2003 first round pick travelled to Philadelphia last night to join the Islanders, who have a few players banged up. It will be interesting to see (if Nilsson plays) who coach Brad Shaw lines him up with. We doubt the highly-skilled young forward would be recalled to play on the fourth line.
Speaking of which, how about Eric Godard on the PK Tuesday night? Shaw explained his reasoning: "Eric is always working hard for us in the games and at practice," the coach said. "When we use him on the PK when we're practicing our power play with our top units, he is relentless and does a good job. I thought he deserved the chance, and he did well."
Garth Snow is expected to be in net tonight for the Islanders.
- Kevin Colley (neck) was injured on Jan. 31 and is out indefinitely.
- Center Petteri Nokelainen (patella tendonitis) has missed the last 41 games. He's currently on the Injured Reserve retroactive of Nov. 3, 2005.
- Alexei Zhitnik (ankle) was injured on Jan. 31 and is listed as day-to-day. He has missed three games.
Total Man-Games Lost (After 54 games): 124
|2005-06 NEW YORK ISLANDERS MAN-GAMES LOST |
|PLAYER ||GAMES MISSED ||INJURY |
|Arron Asham ||1 ||Rib Muscle |
|Shawn Bates ||16 ||Hip Strain (4), Hamstring Strain (12) |
|Jason Blake ||5 ||Concussion (2), Bruised Ribs (3) |
|Kevin Colley ||14 ||Knee Sprain (11), Neck (3) |
|Rick DiPietro ||7 ||Concussion (1), Bruised Knee (1), Sprained Knee (5) |
|Oleg Kvasha ||12 ||Ankle |
|Brad Lukowich ||3 ||Strained Ribs |
|Petteri Nokelainen* ||42 ||Sprained Ankle (1), Knee Injury (41) |
|Mark Parrish ||4 ||Hip Strain |
|Garth Snow ||14 ||Knee Sprain |
|Brent Sopel || 3 ||Sprained Wrist |
|Alexei Zhitnik ||3 ||Ankle Sprain |
|Total Games Missed: ||124 || |
*Denotes currently on Injured Reserve.
RECENT 2005-06 TRANSACTIONS
February 5 Recalled goaltender Garth Snow and center Wyatt Smith from Bridgeport (AHL). Reassigned goaltender Wade Dubielewicz and center Jeremy Colliton to Bridgeport.
February 4 Assigned goaltender Garth Snow to Bridgeport on a conditioning assignment.
February 1 Recalled center Jeremy Colliton from Bridgeport.
January 26 Recalled defenseman Joel Bouchard from Bridgeport and reassigned forward Jeff Hamilton to Bridgeport.
January 20 Reassigned defenseman Bruno Gervais to Bridgeport.
January 16 Recalled forward Jeff Hamilton from Bridgeport and reassigned forward Sean Bergenheim to Bridgeport.
ISLE LEAD THE WAY
Goals... Miroslav Satan 23
Assists... Mike York 30
Points... Alexei Yashin 45
Penalty Minutes... Arron Asham 92
Plus/Minus... Jason Blake +3
Game-Winning Goals... Mark Parrish 5
Power Play Goals... Miroslav Satan 13
Power Play Assists... Alexei Yashin 16
Power Play Points... Alexei Yashin 22
Shots... Jason Blake 200
Shooting Percentage... Mark Parrish 23.9%
Time on Ice... Alexei Zhitnik 24:16 per game
Hits... Trent Hunter 159
ISLANDERS AT PHILADELPHIA
Tonight's game is the 198th all-time regular season meeting between the Islanders and Flyers and 223rd meeting, including playoffs. The Islanders have a lifetime record of 80-91-26-0 versus the Flyers all-time in the regular season. In Philadelphia, the Islanders have a 21-55-11-0 record.
So far in 2005-06, the Islanders have dropped three of the four games to the Flyers. The first meeting between the clubs was on Oct. 15, which the Flyers won 5-1. The second meeting was on Nov. 10 and the Flyers prevailed again 3-2. The Islanders then won 4-2 on Nov. 26 before falling to them 4-3 on Nov. 29.
Did You Know?
The Islanders will honor their 1980 Stanley Cup team on March 4th against the Flyers. Coincidently, the Islanders defeated the Flyers in Game Six of the Finals to clinch their first of four consecutive Stanley Cups.
2005-06 Season Series:
October, 15, 2005: Philadelphia 5, Islanders 1 Comcast Center
November 10, 2005: Philadelphia 3, Islanders 2 Comcast Center
November 26, 2005: Islanders 4, Philadelphia 2 Comcast Center
November 29, 2005: Philadelphia 4, Islanders 3 Nassau Coliseum
February 8, 2006: Comcast Center 7:00 PM
March 4, 2006: Nassau Coliseum 7:00 PM
April 2, 2006: Nassau Coliseum 7:00 PM
April 18, 2006: Nassau Coliseum 7:00 PM
HIT OR BE HIT
Coming into tonight's game, Trent Hunter is third in the league in hits with 159, while Arron Asham is fourth with 153. Brad Lukowich is third on the team and leads Islanders defensemen with 105. As a team, the Islanders have unloaded 1,036 hits against their opponents this season. In Tuesday's game, Hunter led all Islanders with five hits.
On Feb. 4, the Islanders recorded a season-high 33 hits versus the Rangers. Hunter led the way with a team and personal season-high nine hits.
ISLANDERS IN FEBRUARY
The Islanders have a 1-1-1 record in the month of February. Due to the Olympic Break from Feb. 12-28, the team will play a total of six games, three at home and three on the road.
FEBRUARY AT A GLANCE
|Date ||Time ||Opponent ||Result/Location |
|2/2 ||7:00 ||NY Rangers ||L 2-5 |
|2/4 ||2:00 ||Pittsburgh ||W/SO 5-4 |
|2/6 ||7:00 ||Tampa Bay ||L/OT 2-3 |
|2/8 ||7:00 ||Philadelphia ||Comcast Center |
|2/11 ||1:00 ||New Jersey ||Continental Airlines Arena |
|2/28 ||7:00 ||Montreal ||Nassau Coliseum|
| ||Win ||Loss ||OTL |
|Oct. ||5 ||6 ||0 |
|Nov. ||7 ||6 ||1 |
|Dec. ||5 ||6 ||1 |
|Jan. ||6 ||7 ||1 |
|Feb. ||1 ||1 ||1 |
|Totals ||24 ||26 ||4|
ISLANDERS ON THE ROAD
The Islanders have a road record of 12-13-2 this season. In their most recent game, the Islanders defeated the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-4 on Saturday afternoon. Following tonight's game, the Islanders' next road game is Saturday, Feb. 11 at New Jersey.
The Islanders longest road trip of the season is a five-game set in March, which will take them to Atlanta, Boston, Florida, New Jersey and Tampa Bay.
MONTH-BY-MONTH ON THE ROAD
| ||Win ||Loss ||OTL |
|Oct. ||2 ||4 ||0 |
|Nov. ||5 ||3 ||0 |
|Dec. ||2 ||3 ||1 |
|Jan. ||2 ||3 ||1 |
|Feb. ||1 ||0 ||0 |
|Totals ||12 ||13 ||2|
THE ISLANDERS' PENALTY KILL
- The Tampa Bay Lightning were 0-5 on the power play against the Islanders on Tuesday night.
- Overall, the Islanders have killed off 266 of 339 (78.5%) power play attempts this season.
- The Islanders penalty kill is ranked 29th in the league. On the road, the penalty kill is 16th in the league with a percentage of 81.4, while at home they are ranked 30th in the league with a percentage of 75.4.
- The Islanders have recorded four shorthanded goals this season. Jason Blake has scored two (Oct. 13 at Washington, Dec. 30 at Ottawa), while Shawn Bates (Oct. 8 vs. Carolina) and Arron Asham (Oct. 20) have netted one apiece.
THE ISLANDERS' POWER PLAY
- The Islanders were 0-3 on the power play against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday Night.
- They are 55-310 (17.7%) on the man-advantage and are ranked 14th in the NHL. On the road, the power play is ranked 5th in the league with a conversion rate of 18.2 percent. At home, they rank 21st in the league with a conversion rate of 17.2 percent.
- Overall, the Islanders have scored a power play goal in 36 of 53 games this season.
*Power play and penalty kill statistics are as of the morning of 2/7. For the most recent updates, please advise the NHL.com for the latest statistics.
SCORING THE FIRST GOAL
The Islanders are 17-8-1 this season when scoring first and 7-17-3 when the opposition scores the first goal of the game. In 2003-04, the Islanders had a record of 27-6-5-1 when they scored the first goal of the game. They were 11-23-6-3 when their opponents scored first.
SHOTS ON GOAL
- The Islanders have been out-shot, 1,757-1,623, through 54 games of this season.
- The Islanders have been out-shot in 35 of 54 games this season.
- The Islanders are allowing an average of 32.5 shots per game while taking 30.1 shots on goal per game. Sixteen of the team's 24 victories have come when the team has been out-shot.
- They have a record of 16-17-1 when they have been out-shot and have a record of 7-9-3 in games when they've out-shot the opponent. The Islanders are 1-0-0 in games where they tie their opponents' shot total.
- The Islanders recorded a season-high 51 shots on goal, including 21 in the final period, at Boston on Jan. 28. In that game, the Islanders also allowed a season-high 44 shots on goal.
WHEN LEADING AFTER TWO
The Islanders have taken the lead into the third period 17 times this season and have a record of 14-2-1. This stretch includes winning in overtime (vs. Bruins, Nov. 1) and winning in the shootout five times (at Rangers, Oct. 19, at Pittsburgh, Nov. 14, vs. Edmonton, Dec. 10, vs. Pittsburgh, Jan. 26 and at Pittsburgh, Feb. 4). The two losses occurred vs. Buffalo (shootout, Nov. 23), at Buffalo (Dec. 26) and at Ottawa (Dec. 30).
IN THE EXTRA SESSION
The Islanders lost for the first time in overtime this season when they fell to the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 at the Nassau Coliseum on Feb. 6. They now have a record of 3-1 when the game is decided in the extra session. In the first game that ended in overtime Shawn Bates scored the game-winning goal with 28.2 seconds left to lift the Islanders to a 4-3 win over the Boston Bruins on Nov. 1 at the Coliseum. In the second game, Mark Parrish scored at the 2:15 mark of the extra session to give the Islanders a 4-3 victory over the Florida Panthers on Jan. 4 at the Coliseum. In the third, Oleg Kvasha scored at the 3:02 mark of the extra session to the give the Islanders a 2-1 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 17 at the United Center.
The Islanders are 8-4 in overtime/shootout (three overtime victories, five shootout victories, one overtime loss and three shootout losses) this season.
H.L. GROSS & BROTHERS PLAYER OF THE MONTH
Every month, Islanders fans along with H.L. Gross & Brothers Jewelers select the Islander of the Month. Winger Miroslav Satan was named the Player of the Month for January. In fourteen games, Satan had 12 points (four goals, eight assists) and a +4 plus/minus rating.
October - Alexei Yashin
November - Jason Blake
December - Mike York
January - Miroslav Satan
MILESTONES WITHIN REACH
- Shawn Bates is three assists away from his 100th as an Islander.
- Jason Blake is one point away from his 200th as an Islander.
- Jason Blake is one game away from his 400th NHL game.
- Eric Godard is five games away from his 100th NHL game.
- Oleg Kvasha is seven goals away from his 100th as an Islander.
- Mark Parrish is ten points away from is 200th as an Islander.
UPCOMING PRACTICE SCHEDULE (all times local)
Thursday, February 9: Practice at Islanders Iceworks, 11:00 am - 1:30 pm
Friday, February 10: Practice at Islanders Iceworks, 10:00 am - 12:30 pm
Saturday, February 11: No Morning Skate
Sunday, February 12 February 22: No practices due to Olympics
NEXT 10 GAMES (all times Eastern)
Wednesday, February 8 at Philadelphia, 7:00 pm
Saturday, February 11 at New Jersey, 1:00 pm
Tuesday, February 28 vs. Montreal, 7:00 pm
Thursday, March 2 vs. New Jersey, 7:00 pm
Saturday, March 4 vs. Philadelphia, 7:00 pm
Monday, March 6 at Washington, 7:00 pm
Tuesday, March 7 vs. New Jersey, 7:00 pm
Friday, March 10 vs. Toronto, 7:00 pm
Saturday, March 11 at Boston, 7:00 pm
Tuesday, March 14 at New Jersey, 7:30 pm