Day 2 of the Global Series trip from Lausanne, Switzerland. The Flyers took the ice for practice before tomorrow's final preseason game. After, James van Riemsdyk and Tyler Pitlick joined Gritty for a tour of a local Chocolatier.
Video: Flyers take the ice for day two in Switzerland
STORYLINES FROM THE ICE TODAY
The Flyers hit the ice at 12:30 at Lausanne's HC's practice rink, which had a much different feel to it than Day 1 when the team was just arriving after an overnight flight. With a lot going on in regards to the festivities of the team being in Europe, below is a look at the storylines AND the actual playing lines from Sunday's practice.
GIROUX: "I think yesterday was just to get our legs going and today was a little more focused on team play and feel the puck."
* Head coach Alain Vigneault was more concerned with today rather than yesterday due to the jet lag effect. So much so that in preparation, he brought in a sleep doctor to address the team on one of the final days in training camp.
VIGNEAULT: "The players, any time you give them information that's going to permit them to help their performance on the ice, they're going to listen... This was just another facet where the player has a skillset on the ice, his nutrition, and his rest and sleep is a big part of the players going out on the ice and being able to perform."
* This was two-fold - to help prepare the team for the six-hour difference here in Europe, but also the schedule has the team dealing with a nine-hour difference shortly after their return to North America with a long Western Canadian road trip looming.
* Vigneault also confirmed that Monday's final preseason game, against Lausanne HC, will see the same roster and same lines as today's skate.
The line combinations were as follows:
Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Farabee - Hayes - Voracek
van Riemsdyk - Laughton - Lindblom
Twarynski - Bunnaman - Raffl
Provorov - Sanheim
Gostisbehere - Braun
Niskanen - Myers
Morin - Hagg
Lyon (serving as emergency back up for European trip)
* Matt Niskanen and Philippe Myers will be the two scratches on defense, while Chris Stewart and Tyler Pitlick were wearing different colored jerseys, indicating that they could be out of the line up for the preseason finale.
* Vigneault announced that Carter Hart will get the call in net and go the entire way.
HART: "It will be nice to get in a game tomorrow... it will be the last preseason game to work out all the kinks and get ready for Friday."
* Hart has given up just one goal this entire preseason, stopped 56 of 57 shots through 130 minutes of play for a .982 save percentage.
* What Hart and the rest of the Flyers will have to face, that they normally wouldn't, is a larger ice surface based overseas.
HART: "It's different. You have more time, the players definitely have more time with the puck. I've had some experience going over to [World Championships]. I've played on Olympic Ice before, but once you've had a few skates under your belt you get used to it."
* Despite not being an NHL squad they are going up against, Vigneault knows exactly what to expect and what's at stake in the exhibition.
VIGNEAULT: "For them [Lausanne HC] it's their Stanley Cup. It's a big game, they get up for it, so they're going to be prepared, they're going to work extremely hard, so from our side, we need to go out, execute, compete and that's what we're trying to do."
SAMPLING SWISS CHOCOLATE
Following practice, JVR and Tyler Pitlick traveled to Druin Chocolatier, to sample some Swiss chocolate. Along with Gritty, they attempted to make custom choclate shaped as .a Flyers logo.