After making NHL history with their second-round comeback against the Boston Bruins, the Philadelphia Flyers showed no signs of physical fatigue or mental letdown in the Eastern Conference Final against the Montreal Canadiens. The Flyers opened the series with a 6-0 blowout win in Game One.
Two nights later, the Flyers did it again, shutting out the Canadiens for the second straight time. This time, the score was 3-0. Goals by Danny Briere (power play), Simon Gagne (power play) and Ville Leino led the way offensively. Leino also assisted on the Gagne goal. Philadelphia closed the game out with authority, outshooting Montreal by a 10-4 margin in the third period
After notching a 28-save shutout in the series opener, Michael Leighton stopped all 30 shots fired on his net in Game Two. His best work came in the opening period as he was called upon to make 16 saves. Montreal goaltender Jaroslav Halak turned back 20 of 23.
May 18: Through the Years
- 1975: The Flyers grab a two games to zero lead in the Stanley Cup Finals with a 2-1 regulation win over the Buffalo Sabres at the Spectrum. Reggie Leach and Bobby Clarke score for the Flyers, while Bernie Parent authors 18 saves.
- 1997: The New York Rangers knot the Eastern Conference Final at one game apiece with a seesaw 5-4 win at the CoreStates Center (now Wells Fargo Center). Wayne Gretzky (hat trick) and Mark Messier (one goal, two assists) lead the way. The win will prove to be New York's only one of the best-of-seven series.
- 2000: A 27-save performance by Brian Boucher backstops the Flyers to a 4-2 road win and a two games to one lead over the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference Final. Mark Recchi, Keith Jones, Rick Tocchet and Simon Gagne light the lamp for Philadelphia.
- 2004: The Tampa Bay Lightning take a three games to two lead over the Flyers with a 4-2 win (the final Tampa goal is a late empty netter) in Game Five. Michal Handzus and young forward Patrick Sharp score for the Flyers. The loss forces a do-or-die situation for the Flyers with the series heading back to Philadelphia for Game Six.
- 2008: The Pittsburgh Penguins close out the Eastern Conference Final with a 6-0 home win over the injury-riddled and outgunned Flyers in Game Five of the series.
May 18: Flyers Birthdays
- Offensively skilled winger Dave Michayluk was born May 18, 1962 in Wakaw, Saskatchewan.
- Grinding power winger Turner Stevenson was born May 18, 1972 in Prince George, British Columbia.
- Hard-nosed defenseman Jay Wells was born May 18, 1959 in Paris, Ontario.