March 8: Though the Years
- 1972: The Flyers skate to a wild 6-5 road win over the Vancouver Canucks. The Flyers trail, 3-1, at the first intermission as the Canucks score three straight times after Jean Potvin gives Philly an early 1-0 lead. In the second period, Philly strikes back quickly for goals by Bobby Clarke, "Cowboy" Bill Flett, Gary Dornhoefer (shorthanded) and Bob Kelly. It's then the Canucks turn to make a run again, scoring twice before the end of the second period to tie the game at 5-5. Finally, Barry Ashbee wins the game for the Flyers midway through the third period.
- 1988: The Flyers trade Gordie Roberts to the St. Louis Blues for a 1989 fourth-round pick (Reid Simpson).
- 1995: Looking to bolster their center depth down the stretch, the Flyers acquire Anatoli Semenov from the Anaheim Mighty Ducks in a trade for offensive defenseman Milos Holan.
- 2000: One notable Flyers player's second stint with the team comes to an end and another one's begins: The Flyers trade Mikael Renberg to the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for Rick Tocchet.
- 2001: Keith Primeau records his first hat trick as a Flyer, notching his 30th, 31st, and 32nd goals of the 2000-01 season in a 5-2 home win over the Calgary Flames. Defenseman Eric Desjardins tallies his 14th goal of the season and even enforcer defenseman Chris McAllister gets into the scoring act.
- 2004: In a move that will pay big dividends down the stretch and especially during the 2004 playoffs, the Flyers acquire impending unrestricted free agent defenseman Vladimir Malakhov as a rental from the New York Rangers. In exchange, the Flyers trade prospect Rick Kozak and a 2005 second-round pick (later traded by the Rangers to the Atlanta Thrashers and used on goaltender Ondrej Pavelec).
- 2004: Chris Therien's lengthy first stint as a Flyer comes to an end. The club trades the veteran defenseman to the Dallas Stars in exchange for a 2004 eighth-round pick (goaltender Martin Houle) and a 205 third-round pick (later transferred to Tampa Bay and used on the selection of Chris Lawrence).
- 2012: In the second full game of his franchise record-setting shutout streak, Flyers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov turns back 28 shots in a 5-0 home win over the Florida Panthers. Brayden Schenn, Matt Read, Scott Hartnell, Jaromir Jagr (power play) and Eric Wellwood provide plenty of goal support.
March 8 Flyers Birthdays
- A member of the Crazy Eights line, left winger Brent Fedyk was born March 8, 1967 in Yorktown, Saskatchewan.
- Defensive defenseman Rob Zettler was born March 8, 1968 in Sept-Iles, Quebec.