The late Bill Flett, who came by his nickname "Cowboy" honestly as a cattle rancher and rodeo cowboy in his native Alberta, spent three eventful seasons with the Philadelphia Flyers. He enjoyed a career year in 1972-73, racking up 43 goals and 74 points in 69 games played.
One of the best games of his career came in a 4-3 road win over the Buffalo Sabres on January 21, 1973. Flett compiled a natural hat trick, scoring his 23rd, 24th and 25th goals of the season to build a 3-0 lead for Philadelphia. All three goals were set up by team captain Bobby Clarke.
Buffalo made things close in the third period but Rick MacLeish's 23rd goal of the season gave Philly some vital insurance as they hung on for a one-goal victory.
January 21: Through the Years
- 1981: Pete Peeters shuts out the host Pittsburgh Penguins on 33 shots in a 4-0 Flyers win. Two goals by Paul Holmgren and a goal and an assist by young forward Tim Kerr pace the offense. Mel Bridgman and Rick MacLeish also score.
- 1984: Dave Poulin earns the first hat trick of his NHL career, tallying the second, fourth and fifth goals of a Flyers 7-1 home rout of the New York Islanders. The goals are Poulin's 13th, 14th and 15th of the season. The Flyers also get one goal apiece by both of the Sutter twins -- Ron and Rich -- as well as defenseman Doug Crossman and Darryl Sittler. Bob Froese makes 30 saves to earn the win.
- 1997: A seesaw game in Philadelphia between the Flyers and Stars ends in a 3-3 tie. Goals by Dale Hawerchuk and Mikael Renberg help forge a 2-2 deadlock through two periods and John LeClair re-ties game at 3-3 midway through the third period.
- 1999: The Flyers cruise to a 4-1 home win over the Washington Capitals. Karl Dykhuis, Mikael Renberg, Eric Lindros and Daymond Langkow score to build a 4-0 lead before the game is even 21:30 old. Ron Hextall sees just 18 shots for the game, stopping 17.
- 2010: Ray Emery blanks the visiting New York Rangers on 20 shots in a 2-0 win. A first period goal by James van Riemsdyk and a second-period power play tally by Mike Richards scored with less than three seconds remaining in the period provide the goal support.
- 2012: A 30-save gem from Ilya Bryzgalov and two goals by Scott Hartnell lead the way in a 4-1 road win over the New Jersey Devils. Matt Read and Wayne Simmonds (empty net) round out the Flyers' scoring.
January 21: Flyers Birthdays
- Puck-moving defenseman Oskars Bartulis was born on January 21, 1987 in Ogre, Latvia.
Two-stint Flyers defenseman Moe Mantha was born on January 21, 1