As inter-conference teams, the Philadelphia Flyers and St. Louis Blues played each other only twice - once in each team's home rink - during the 1995-96 season. Bad blood from a chippy 4-4 tie at the Spectrum on January 11, 1996 carried over as the teams met in St. Louis in a nationally televised matinee game on February 3.
On the scoreboard, the rematch was a 7-3 rout in the Flyers' favor. Philadelphia captain Eric Lindros notched a hat trick and assisted on the second of two goals by teammate Joel Otto. Pat Falloon and Craig MacTavish also tallied for the Flyers.
In the fisticuffs department, however, it was a much more even game. The tilt featured numerous fights, including a kayo loss by Flyers enforcer Shawn Antoski to the Blues' Tony Twist. Other fights included Eric Desjardins vs. Geoff Courtnall, Chris Therien vs. Stephane Matteau, Karl Dykhuis vs. Robert Pearson, ex-Blues forward Rod Brind'Amour vs. ex-Flyers defenseman Jay Wells, and Otto vs. Shayne Corson (a running battle from their years playing for the arch-rival Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers).
February 3: Through the Years
- 1977: Bernie Parent records the 45th shutout of his Flyers career, blanking the Chicago Blackhawks on 24 shots in a 6-0 blowout at the Spectrum. Rick MacLeish scores his 29th and 30th goals of the season and assists on a Harvey Bennett goal. Parent also gets goal support from Reggie Leach, Paul Holmgren and Gary Dornhoefer (20th goal of the season).
- 1990: The Flyers build and lose a 6-2 lead but go onto to rescue a 7-6 overtime home win against the Minnesota North Stars. Mike Bullard scores the winning goal in OT. In regulation, Pelle Eklund compiles two goals while Rick Tocchet has a goal and two assists.
- 2007: Antero Niittymaki continues to build his career-long perfect record against the Atlanta Thrashers and Finnish countryman Kari Lehtonen. On this night, Philly skates to a 5-2 win, powered by a four-goal third period. Dmitry Afanasenkov, Simon Gagne, Mike York, Jeff Carter (shorthanded) and Alexei Zhitnik (traded later that season to Atlanta for young defenseman Braydon Coburn) score the Flyers' goals.
- 2014: The Flyers set a new single-season franchise record with their 10th comeback win when trailing at some point in the third period. On this night, the Flyers exploded for four unanswered goals in the final stanza to stun the San Jose Sharks, 6-2. The Flyers got an early power goal from Mark Streit while the Sharks' Matt Nieto scored twice. In the third period, the floodgates opened as Matt Read, Michael Raffl, Claude Giroux and Jakub Voracek scored. The tallies by Read, Raffl and Giroux took place within the first four minutes of the final period, as a 2-1 deficit rapidly turned into a multi-goal lead. Steve Mason turned back 20 of 22 shots to earn the win.
February 3: Flyers Birthdays
- Gritty checking forward Tony Horacek was born on Feb. 3, 1967, in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Czech defenseman Frantisek Kucera was born on Feb 3, 1968, in Prague.