Thursday, October 2, 2014
Capitals 3, Flyers 2 (shootout) at Verizon Center
- The Flyers concluded their 2014 preseason with a 3-3-2 record, losing twice in a shootout and winning all three games at the Wells Fargo Center.
- The Capitals tied the game, 2-2, with 1:01 remaining in the third period and an empty-net to force overtime.
- The Flyers outshot the Caps, 8-3 in the first period… Then were outshot by the Caps in the second and third period, but came back to outshoot Washington 6-0 in the overtime period.
- Mark Streit posted his second goal of the preseason and eighth point to give the Flyers a 1-0 lead… Streit led the Flyers in preseason scoring with eight points (2g-6a) in four games.
- Jason Akeson scored his second goal of the preseason to give the Flyers a 2-1 lead in the second period, just 33 seconds after the Capitals’ tied the game at 1-1.
- Defense pairing of Andrew MacDonald and Braydon Coburn each logged over 23 minutes of ice time in the game… Claude Giroux led all Flyers forwards with 22 minutes of ice time (22:09) compared to his first preseason game on Wednesday when he had 16:53 of TOI.
- The Flyers now have five full days off of game action before they open the regular season at Boston on Oct. 8… The team will travel to Cape Cod in Massachusetts prior to the season for team bonding.