1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
After getting off to a 1-0 lead, the Flyers surrendered three unanswered goals to the Islanders, who took home a 3-1 win at the Wells Fargo Center on Thursday.
In the opening frame, the Flyers outshot the Islanders, 13-2, when Wayne Simmonds broke through, slamming home a power-play goal just past Thomas Greiss with 7:53 left in the frame.
The Islanders tied it up with a power-play goal of their own by Anders Lee with just over three minutes left to knot the score at 1-1 entering the second.
The Isles then recorded even strength goals early in each of the second and third periods and shut down the Flyers the rest of the way to gain two points in the standings and the wild card race. Steve Mason stopped 28 of 31 Islanders shot in the loss, while Greiss stopped 36 of 37 in the win.
2. TURNING POINT
Tonight's turning point came on the early second period goal from Jason Chimera, who took a feed from Andrew Ladd and flipped a backhand shot past Mason to give the Islanders a 2-1 lead. With the Flyers playing a good first period and looking to continue that effort in the second, Chimera's goal had the Flyers playing from behind and unable to catch up.
3. THREE STARS
1 - Jason Chimera: Recorded the eventual game-winning goal on a tip in past Mason for his seventh goal in his last 14 games.
2 - John Tavares: Helped the Isles draw even after they fell down a goal, recording an assist which was his 17th point in his last 13 games.
3 - Wayne Simmonds: Scored the lone Flyers goal, his 22nd of the year and 11th on the power play.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers now own a 1-2-1 record on their five-game homestand, which will wrap up on Saturday in a matinee against the San Jose Sharks (1 p.m., CSN & 97.5 The Fanatic).
* The Flyers dropped their first game of the season series to the Islanders after earning both wins in Brooklyn. They meet for the final time this season on Mar. 30 at Philadelphia.
* Shayne Gostisbehere returned to the lineup tonight after missing the previous three games and recorded an assist on the only goal. It was his 18th assist of the year, which is tied for fourth on the team.
* Wayne Simmonds scored his 22nd of the year tonight - Last season he didn't score his 22nd goal until Feb. 29.
5. THEY SAID IT
"I mean I think we were pressing pretty hard there in the beginning. We had some good chances. Their goalie made some great saves. It's not like we don't have our chances, I just think that they're not going in right now. It'll happen. The flood gates will open and we just have to keep pressing."
- Shayne GostisbehereVideo: Gostisbehere Post Game Islanders Interview
"You saw the first period, I thought we went out and played well. At the end of the night, it's a tough night and it's a tough loss. I think we'll stick together, and get back to work. That's how it is, especially after a tough night. We are all in it together."
- Dave HakstolVideo: Coach Hakstol Postgame Press Conference