1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
The Flyers scored five and rookie goaltender Anthony Stolarz won his NHL debut stopping 29 of 32 shots in the 5-3 victory over the Flames.
TJ Brodie got the Flames out to an early 1-0 lead with a shorthanded goal by flicking a backhand shot past Stolarz, but Michael Raffl evened things up with just over two minutes left to play in the period.
Jakub Voracek put the Flyers up by one on an early power play in the second when his pass deflected off of Flames defenseman Mark Giordano and past Chad Johnson. Philadelphia then added two more goals from Chris VandeVelde and Wayne Simmonds, and got key saves from Stolarz to take a 4-1 lead into the third period.
The Flames added two more in the third period, but Roman Lyubimov tacked on another for the Flyers who cruised to a win.
2. THE TURNING POINT
A pair of point-blank saves from Stolarz with five minutes left in the second helped the rookie goaltender settle in and preserve a 4-1 lead heading into the third period… The saves were part of second period in which Stolarz stopped all 12 shots and proved a difference following a third period in which the Flames tallied twice.
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Jakub Voracek: Posted a goal and an assist to snap a six-game point drought, while also recording a +1.
2 - Wayne Simmonds: Recorded a goal and an assist for his sixth multi-point game of the year and his team-leading 21st point of the year.
3 - Anthony Stolarz: First NHL Start. First NHL win. Stopped 29 shots, including 23 of 25 through the final two periods, in front of 20+ family members in attendance to see his debut.
Video: Stolarz postgame interview on winning his debut
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers had 43 shots on goal, which is a season high… They have outshot the opponent 85-55 in the last two games. They had 77 shot attempts to 56 for Calgary.
* Four Flyers had multi-point games, all with one goal and one assist each (Lyubimov, Simmonds, VandeVelde, Voracek). It was the first career multi-point game for Lyubimov and the third for VandeVelde.
* With a goal and an assist tonight, Wayne Simmonds (11g-10a) is one of four players in the NHL with at least 10 goals and 10 assists (Nikita Kucherov, Connor McDavid & Mark Scheifele).
* The Flyers defense has recorded seven points (2g-5a) in their last three games… Overall, Flyers defensemen have recorded at least a point in 20 of 23 games.
* Simmonds was credited with three blocked shots in the game. Radko Gudas and Michael Del Zotto recorded six hits apiece.
5. THEY SAID IT
"It was great. It's a very passionate city. Just being able to watch a couple games here and obviously back up a couple, it's pretty exciting. Finally being able to play a game in front of this crowd there, one of the loudest crowds in the league. For them to give me an ovation like that, it means a lot."
- Anthony Stolarz
"He was outstanding today. I think he made himself big when he needed to. He made a huge save in the second period there when the game was 3-1. It was real important for us. It was good to see him get that first start and first win."
- Jakub Voracek
"Everyone just kept their foot on the gas. Right from the drop of the puck I think everybody chipped in. One of the keys we wanted to make sure we had in our game was everybody skating and moving. From there everything seems to follow suit. Playing against a team tonight that has played a lot of hockey; a lot of teams have, but I think we had more energy for the full sixty minutes tonight then they did."
- Dave HakstolVideo: Coach Hakstol's postgame press conference