HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Sean Couturier scored in the third round of the shootout and Carter Hart stopped all three Devils shooters to give the Flyers a 4-3 victory and the extra point in Newark.
The back-and-forth affair started when Wayne Simmonds scored a power-play goal 6:24 into the contest; the Flyers then got the game's next two goals, first from Oskar Lindblom at the 10:39 mark of the first and then from Sean Couturier 7:26 into the second.
New Jersey tipped the scales back its way first on a Sami Vatanen power-play goal with 5:32 left in the second and then from Taylor Hall two seconds shy of the halfway point in the third. The Flyers didn't wait long to knot the score, doing so on Joel Farabee's first NHL goal with 8:31 to go.
Couturier and Hart went on to secure the win in the shootout. Hart made 23 saves to earn the win, while Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 28 shots in absorbing the SOL.
1st: Sean Couturier (1g-1a, shootout winner)
2nd: Taylor Hall (1g-1a)
3rd: Sami Vatanen (1g)
Joel Farabee's goal showed no quit in the Flyers as they battled back from a deficit in the third period for a win... A great play by Michael Raffl, who carried the puck in and around the net, threw it in front where it bounced right in the slot to Farabee. He admitted aftweards that he closed his eyes, fired it on net and was relieved that it went in to finally grab his first tally. Video: PHI@NJD: Farabee ties it with first career NHL goal
* The Wayne Simmonds power play goal -- his first as a Devil -- that gave New Jersey an early 1-0 lead was reminiscent of many he scored as a Flyers. He pounced quickly on a puck around the net and stashed it home.
* No doubt influenced by prescout video of the Flyers' last two games, the Devils brought an aggressive forecheck from the outset. Philly had some early issues in the first period but adapted better as the opening stanza progressed.
* The trio of Oskar Lindblom, Sean Couturier and Travis Konecny remains the Flyers most effective line... They combined for five points (2g-3a).
* The Flyers PK had killed 16 in a row before the Devils got to them twice on their first three tries. For the second time in as many games, a stumble by Travis Sanheim figured into an opposing goal. The Flyers were the better team at 5-on-5.
* Justin Braun and Shayne Gostisbehere had a breakdown as Taylor Hall went coast to coast to put the Devils up, 3-2. It was still a stoppable shot for Carter Hart. Thankfully for the Flyers, Joel Farabee soon got the game re-knotted.
* The Flyers played their second shootout of the season and earned their first win... It was also the 10th shootout in history against the Devils and just the second win - the Flyers were previously, 1-8 in shootouts against New Jersey.Video: NJD@PHI: Couturier scores with one hand in shootout
* Oskar Lindblom posted a goal for the second straight game, giving him seven on the season, which leads the Flyers... He also added an assist and has four goals and six points in his last six games.
* Travis Konecny recorded an assist in tonight's game giving him three points (1g-2a) in two games against the Devils this season.
* Ivan Provorov recorded an assist and logged a season high 27:08 of ice time, which was nearly five full minutes more than the next closest Flyer (Matt Niskanen - 22:14).
* German Rubtsov made his NHL debut tonight, making him the fourth Flyer to make their NHL debut this season (Connor Bunnaman, Joel Farabee, Rubtsov & Carsen Twarynski)... He logged eight minutes of ice time and had one shot on goal
* The Flyers play the second of a back-to-back set when they return to the Wells Fargo Center on Saturday night to take on the Toronto Maple Leafs at 7 p.m. (NBCSP & 97.5 The Fanatic).
THEY SAID IT
Video: Hear from Flyers coach following win over NJDVideo: Hear from Couturier, Farabee and Hart following win