1. HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED
Steve Mason came within 1:51 of a shutout, but his 38 saves stood as the backbone behind a 3-1 victory over the Panthers.
Wayne Simmonds started the scoring with an unassisted goal with about nine minutes left in the first, and the lead grew to 2-0 when Dale Weise picked up his first goal as a Flyer on a power play with seven minutes remaining in the second. Nick Cousins picked up the Flyers' second power play goal of the game 7:04 into the third period.
Video: PHI@FLA: Simmonds roofs snap shot to open the scoring
Florida's only goal came when Reilly Smith put home a rebound with just under two minutes to play. Mason's 38 saves were a season high, while Roberto Luongo stopped 25.
2. THE TURNING POINT
Wayne Simmonds slid a puck to Nick Cousins, who snuck in past the defense and then roofed it over the shoulder of Roberto Luongo to give the Flyers a 3-0 lead with 13 minutes left in the third period. The goal gave the Flyers a three-goal cushion that, in the end, gave them breathing room as the Panthers pulled the goaltender with two minutes left and closed within two goals instead of one.
Video: PHI@FLA: Cousins finishes dish from Simmonds for PPG
3. THE THREE STARS
1 - Steve Mason: Stopped every shot thrown at him from the Panthers for 58 minutes and ended the game with 38 saves on 39 shots.
2 - Wayne Simmonds: Kicked off the scoring with the Flyers first goal and added an assist for his fifth multi-point game of the year.
3 - Reilly Smith: Broke up Steve Mason's shutout with his fourth goal of the year. Smith now has seven career goals in 10 games against the Flyers.
4. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING
* The Flyers were perfect on special teams, going 2-for-2 on the power play and 4-for-4 on the penalty kill. The last time the Flyers had a game of that nature was March 28, 2013 in a 4-3 shootout loss vs. the NY Islanders, when they were 2-for-2 on the power play and 5-for-5 on the penalty kill.
* Wayne Simmonds (1g-1a) and Brayden Schenn (2a) each had multi-point nights.
* Sean Couturier left in the second period with a lower-body injury (MORE HERE)
* Travis Konecny recorded an assist in tonight's game giving him eight points (3g-5a) in nine road games.
* Steve Mason made 38 saves, which is a season high… He is now three wins away from passing Pete Peeters for seventh on the Flyers' all-time list.
* Radko Gudas recorded five hits and four blocked shots.
* Pierre-Edouard Bellemare led the Flyers with five shots on goal.
* Dale Weise recorded his first goal as a Flyer.
Video: PHI@FLA: Weise nets first as a Flyer to double lead
5. THEY SAID IT
"It definitely feels good. It hasn't been a very good start for me. To get the first one, to get the monkey off your back, you instantly feel lighter and instantly feel so much better about yourself."
- Dale Weise
"I thought we were better in [limiting turnovers] tonight, especially against a team like these guys. They feed off of those and they transition extremely well. You see their team speed when you see them up close. They're a quick team."
- Dave Hakstol